SOS Model 30 Remington Reconfigure

E T Williams

Hi; I see 103 of you have read of my delima(10/29 post)of changing a M 30 Ex. from 3006 to 458 Lott but no recomendations. Am I crazy for pursuing this project or is it just too difficult a undertaking? I've spoken to a Mr Williams in OR. a contemporary of Roy Patterson. who said that this was a relative simple process but that he didn't do it any more because of age and it used to be done alot with the modifying of the 1917 Enfields and the M30's and Roy had addressed this in his book of gunsmithing. which I referenced. but to no avail. Mr Williams said that the rails could be trimmed .020 and the follower shortened and the box would then accomodate the banded case and flat nosed slugs w/o further magazine modification. I've repeated this to a few recommended smiths and they shake their heads and roll their eyes and tell me that the process is more than that and they can't or won't help. Anyone out there with an idea?

What you are trying to do is very doable the bolt face will have to be opened up action rails opened and mag box lengthened all common changes on a mod 30

What you are trying to do is very doable the bolt face will have to be opened up action rails opened and mag box lengthened all common changes on a mod 30
Yes,, common mods to the 1914/1917 rifles. Trouble is nobody wants to pay for them, anymore! And, when you're done, you will still have a a cock on closing, over weight rifle built on an 'antique' action. If you can get McGowen to do this for $500 you'd better jump on it. There are much better options, for your desired .458 Lott, to be had.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.