sooo,,, die recommendations 7mm

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
just got my 7mm rem mag nosler brass,,,need dies. hmmm, i'm using a redding t7 and have several calibers of redding type s match 2 die sets, i'v e researched a bit on forster and whidden, but i come across threads that also say negative reviews. i've experienced some high run out numbers with the redding,,,but a lot of folks swear by them. any input?

Last edited:
I assembled my 7RM die set. I use a Lee collet die, a Redding shoulder bump die and a Forster benchrest micrometer seating die. Works very well for me.

Just say no to expander balls!!!
That's my motto. I like the above post. I do the same thing, but vary in my seating die choices. I like the Hornady new dimension seater for a cheap seater.

I just went through this also same brass ect.. I bought the lee ultimate die set I adjusted the collet die using the J. valentines method and my new loaded ammo barely moves the needle I couldn't seem to get below .007 before with any consistency using rcbs with a forester stem I believe the theory it just didn't work for me with this one

I have done several small tests with different dies. I simply rip all the guts out of the die and size my case to around .0015 of shoulder bump. Once that is done I run a Sinclair NT mandrel through all the necks for the final step. I have found that no matter what die I used my run out results stayed basically nothing despite the die I used. What this leads me to is the absolute that the expander ball is the culprit in many dies of inducing that run out, that and the press of coarse. Cant testify to any other press as I have been using a Co-Ax for several years now. My current 7mm Die setup is Forster BR seating die, normal redding FL sizer with no expander and as mentioned previously a Sinclair mandrel body die and a .282 dia Sinclair NT mandrel as final step. I do anneal every firing on the magnums but this combo seems to yield very, very consistent ammo.

Also prior to the coax I was using a rock chucker and also had a Redding t7, I had many issues with following concentricity with that turret top press. I also played with using same die set on rock chucker and I would have very low run out with same dies used on the T7 as I used on the rock chucker. Maybe I had a bad press but I did get rid of it and I narrowed it down to either A certain holes were slightly off center in the turret or B the center mount hole for the entire turret was off center. Not saying by any means this is the case with yours but just my experience.

Its worth the money for micrometer seating dies. I always full length resize brass with a .002 shoulder bump. I have always had great accuracy from reloading with those two steps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts