Son's Buck

brettman

My youngest got his second deer this year, missed getting one on his birthday like he did last year by a week. He was wanting to wait for something bigger than last year and ended up having to pass on a few different deer during previous sits rather than taking less than ideal shots so by the time this one showed he was ready to get it done. I'm pretty proud of the patience he showed this year and it's been a blast watching him ride the emotional rollercoaster that is deer hunting. Definitely not long range but 60 yards with only a window pad and he nailed it. Proud dad.

Attachments

• IMG_20201202_163313857.jpg
    IMG_20201202_163313857.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 439
Appreciate the kind words fellas, a little encouragement can go a long way with a 7 year old. Shortly after an encounter with a 6 point that we were not able to get on I was going over what I needed to do to help him learn from it and I looked at my boy and could see the tears welling up. Asked him what was wrong and he broke down a bit and says you've killed a bunch of deer and papaw and uncle Bradley's killed a bunch of deer and any of y'all would have gotten that one too and he wasn't ever going to be able to be good at it. Kinda struggled a bit trying to explain how we've all been there and will be there again. Ended up showing him some missed opportunity threads I'd read on here and stumbled on the thread I started last year when he got his first one. He sat there and read every comment. Had a big ol smile back on his face by the time he finished.

Appreciate the kind words fellas, a little encouragement can go a long way with a 7 year old. Shortly after an encounter with a 6 point that we were not able to get on I was going over what I needed to do to help him learn from it and I looked at my boy and could see the tears welling up. Asked him what was wrong and he broke down a bit and says you've killed a bunch of deer and papaw and uncle Bradley's killed a bunch of deer and any of y'all would have gotten that one too and he wasn't ever going to be able to be good at it. Kinda struggled a bit trying to explain how we've all been there and will be there again. Ended up showing him some missed opportunity threads I'd read on here and stumbled on the thread I started last year when he got his first one. He sat there and read every comment. Had a big ol smile back on his face by the time he finished.
Wow, 7 years old. That's awesome. He'll never ever remember NOT hunting in his lifetime. Started my son shooting a bow literally around 2 years old. Little stick and string into hay bales. He killed his first deer with a bow at 9. Felt he was mature enough to handle it and he was. At 26 today, he's pretty much into a career in a big city and the last thing he finds time for is hunting. Sad, yes but I'm hopeful for every kid that starts so young will stay with it for life. Congrats on his 2nd buck. Great picture.

it's wonderful to hear of our great lifestyle being passed down to younger generations. My fondest memories are when my father taught my brother and I gun safety and hunting from an early age. Then passing it on to my son was just as wonderful. Your are instilling fundamental qualities in your son that will help mold him into a young man you will be proud of. Thanks for sharing

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.