Sonic cleaned and no difference....

Glenn Tullius

I bought a Harbor Freight sonic cleaner to do 20 Grendel cases only. I used distilled water and the recommended 1/4 tsp. of powdered cleaner, and ran 4 times. Twice with heat, and added another 1/4 tsp. of cleaner. Result is the brass looks like I never ran it! See the pic, before and after neck looks unchanged.

Attachments

• 6.5 sonic cleaned.jpg
    6.5 sonic cleaned.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 56
I have been using the water pins etc. with awesome results, but I often work with only 20 rounds at a time for testing, which is why I bought it. I also thought it would eliminate my tired thumb from cleaning the necks with steel wool etc. I will try the suggestions of citric acid, lemishine etc. Thanks!

I've used all three types and have settled on the SS/pins method. However, I rarely clean my rifle brass. Mostly I'm cleaning pistol brass or anything that flies out of an AR.

One thing that I learned about the SS wet method is that "lees is more". I was originally tumbling for 2 hours. Eventually, I experimented with less, and less time. The mouth peening issue is related to excessive tumbling IMO. Excessive tumbling also removes ALL of the carbon from inside of the necks which most people feel is undesirable.

I'm currently tumbling for about 45min and get good results. Shorter times may work just as well. I lightly chamfer the inside of the case mouths just for consistency, but it's not really needed.

I've used all three types and have settled on the SS/pins method. However, I rarely clean my rifle brass. Mostly I'm cleaning pistol brass or anything that flies out of an AR.

One thing that I learned about the SS wet method is that "lees is more". I was originally tumbling for 2 hours. Eventually, I experimented with less, and less time. The mouth peening issue is related to excessive tumbling IMO. Excessive tumbling also removes ALL of the carbon from inside of the necks which most people feel is undesirable.

I'm currently tumbling for about 45min and get good results. Shorter times may work just as well. I lightly chamfer the inside of the case mouths just for consistency, but it's not really needed.
Yes, I reduced my time to one hour max as well.

It is easier and faster to clean the outside of dirty necks with steel wool. A few quick twists and you're done.

Steel wool works great. Another way is dab of Flitz on rag, twist around neck and looks new.
For years I've used a green scotchbrite pad and Lee zip trip.

Edit: Lee zip trim…not trip.🙄

Last edited: