Son has 6pts in Wyoming - Any suggestions?

atdp

I have been buying points for my son in Wyoming for the last 6 years for both deer and elk. He is going to graduate high school and I thought I would take him hunting for his 18th birthday to Wyoming. Any suggestions? I don't want to just burn the points either and I am looking for a real quality hunt for him. We would be hunting on foot and can't afford a outfitter. Thanks for any replies.

Get a Region G tag this year. If you don't have PPs, then put the two of you in as a party and you will both draw that tag. Then get set for a good backpack trip of at least 7-8 miles up into the higher back country where there are still some good bucks to be had if you work hard at it. I'd also wait a year and buy another PP for elk because it's really hard to spend enough time in any one area on a combined hunt for those two animals, unlike doing a deer/antelope combo.

Dont burn his 6 points on deer!!!!!! The deer quality is not worth it right now when he is only 1 point behind max. If you want to hunt deer then apply for unit 82 special which you will not get, then put region H as 2nd choice which is almost as good as G and you will likely get as a second choice in special draw and still build points.
Do you have points for yourself also? If so you can get a great elk hunt for 6 points. Either way I would not try to hunt both species on the same hunt.

The problem with that thinking is that you have to answer the question as to if it will ever get better than it is now and most folks think the answer is a resounding no!

I should clarify that I have 3 points also and I would really prefer to take him on a elk hunt. I appreciate the feedback and may do the deer hunt this year if I can't find him a good elk hunt. Don't plan on doing both for the reasons mentioned. Not enough time to really concentrate on both.​

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.