Sometimes you learn more from mistakes

A A Ron

I had been trying to work up a good long range load in .260 Remington with Barnes 145 match burners and Reloader 23. I never found what I wanted. 2 moa garbage is all I could muster. Very disappointed.

I changed bullets and powder. 140 ELD match and H4350. I loaded my first batch for powder testing at mag length. I never considered checking to see how close to the lands I was, because I never had a bullet hit the lands at mag length. When I chambered the first round I felt a slight resistance, but nothing alarming. I started shooting. 24 of 26 test loads went into .5 moa or less. The two that were out I suspect were contributed by mirage from the suppressor. When I shot those again they went back in the group. Half way through I ejected a loaded round. I saw marks on the bullet. I discovered I was into the lands. Now what?

I have the best and most constent results I have ever obtained with that rifle. Be ultra conservative and seat deeper or go with it and carry a ramrod incase I stick a bullet? FYI over the courses of the powder test I never hit pressure.

Attachments

• 20230325_093208.jpg
    20230325_093208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
I am jammed very deep. 050" I would have expected a huge spike in pressure but that isn't happening. Velocity is only 2780 average which is mild for a 26" barrel. Cases and primers look good. This rifle barrel is likely half way through its life with a little over 1000 rounds so the throat erosion may be lessening the initial pressure spike. My theory is the throat is less abrupt.

I tested another 30 rounds jammed and it just drives tacks out to 1100. I have enough neck tension I haven't stuck a bullet or moved it when chambering. I think I'm going run with it.

I would like to hear a couple strong opinions based on experience for and against running this much jam.

I am jammed very deep. 050" I would have expected a huge spike in pressure but that isn't happening. Velocity is only 2780 average which is mild for a 26" barrel. Cases and primers look good. This rifle barrel is likely half way through its life with a little over 1000 rounds so the throat erosion may be lessening the initial pressure spike. My theory is the throat is less abrupt.

I tested another 30 rounds jammed and it just drives tacks out to 1100. I have enough neck tension I haven't stuck a bullet or moved it when chambering. I think I'm going run with it.

I would like to hear a couple strong opinions based on experience for and against running this much jam.
I would run it right where it is! If its shooting that good I would let her fly, I usually try a load jammed ten tho into the lands during load development and have never personally noticed any increase in case pressure signs or velocity increase. Of course these have been cup and core bullets at an accuracy node- not pushing any envelopes. Your mileage may vary.
I have ran into hunting scenarios where when I get back to the truck I stick a bullet and sling powder everywhere. In which case you might just adjust like I do with my 7 SAUM. I just leave my mag full and only load a round into the chamber when I see a critter to shoot at!

I had been trying to work up a good long range load in .260 Remington with Barnes 145 match burners and Reloader 23. I never found what I wanted. 2 moa garbage is all I could muster. Very disappointed.

I changed bullets and powder. 140 ELD match and H4350. I loaded my first batch for powder testing at mag length. I never considered checking to see how close to the lands I was, because I never had a bullet hit the lands at mag length. When I chambered the first round I felt a slight resistance, but nothing alarming. I started shooting. 24 of 26 test loads went into .5 moa or less. The two that were out I suspect were contributed by mirage from the suppressor. When I shot those again they went back in the group. Half way through I ejected a loaded round. I saw marks on the bullet. I discovered I was into the lands. Now what?

I have the best and most constent results I have ever obtained with that rifle. Be ultra conservative and seat deeper or go with it and carry a ramrod incase I stick a bullet? FYI over the courses of the powder test I never hit pressure.
And you know you "never hit pressure", how exactly?

The "pressure" signs we typically look for are actually OVER pressure signs.

I have no strong opinion, but I stopped chasing the lands long ago. I measure for reference and prefer ~.020" off the lands. Each component combination varies from rifle to rifle. I had .300 WSM, and the best group was .160" off the lands. Finding a load compromise at .080" off the lands took me a while. My latest build, a .338 Thor, while I am only fire-forming, and breaking in the barrel, the 250g Hornady is .165" off the lands.

I say run with it if you are pleased with it and feel safe. Good luck, and keep us posted.