Sometimes I can be a *******.....

I got the info out of a book they sell at Cabelas "complete reloading guide" for the 300WM. Im sure you guys have seen it, it is just photo copies of all the 300WM sections from the different bullet makers and powder suppliers.
Reason 2 I am a dumb ***....I always figured that a 200 grain boattail was a 200 grain boat tail and maybe it is.....but the book did not have a 200 grain accubond, it had a 200 grain NOS PART, so I thought .."close enough" (This is in the back of the book in the "Hodgdon Powders")

My rifle is a remington 700 action and Kreiger barrel.

No it is not---different amounts of bearing surface mean different pressures/pressure curves. This is Handloading 101 but you would be surprized how many are clueless about it.

Lucky you got out of this with no problems! Be careful and take nothing for granted.

Glad your ok. Thanks for posting as this serves as a reminder to me and hopefully all to be careful, don't assume anything and think.

Sometimes I can be a *******.....

I am very glad your alright, but don't go around thinking you have any sort of monopoly on this.

Things happen and sometimes you walk away with no ill effects other than a severely bruised ego. Other times you aren't quite so fortunate. Ego's can be repaired, other things ....well maybe maybe not.

Years ago, I had worked up some awesome grouping loads using H-4350 in my .243 using 95gr Ballistic tips. These were worked up slowly and carefully and were shooting within around 3/8" at 100yds. A friend invited me to come try for a few hogs, and I figured sinc e they were a bit on the tough side I would just swap over to the Partition, same weight same manufacture no problems.

Two things went wrong with this, first was I had simply written 4530 on the side of the last box I had loaded of the BT's, second was I was out of the H-4350 and had a partial can of IMR sitting there which I had also used on loads with this same rifle. Trust me when I say they aren't interchangeable. The first round did almost exactly what you described, however, I ended up with a piece of the primer lodged in my left cheek, and another in my left forearm. Needless to say this left a lasting impression on me as well as a somewhat enigma to touch off the next few loads in other rifles, even already knowing they were fine.

I, as well as a host of others here are guilty of working slowly up to and sometimes past a load listed in a book. But from that day then till today, I NEVER just up to ANY load above a start until I am POSITIVE I am working within a safe area. Even with my new 25-06 AI, I started with the bottom loads for the standard case, when I initially formed some cases and worked up until I found the level they needed to properly form.

I see it time and time again being recommended when forming cases, to just pull the top end load and be sure the bullet is jammed into the lands. I sit and wonder sometimes how close some of those folks come to wrecking an action or worse. It might only happen once in every 5000 times, but I won't want to be in that category again.

Thanks for posting.

41mag, I'm glad you weren't injured worse. Ive never had nor seen the type of unforetunate experience you had so I'm wondering how did part of the primer get you if (and I say if) the bolt was still closed or did the bolt or something let go?

41mag, I'm glad you weren't injured worse. Ive never had nor seen the type of unforetunate experience you had so I'm wondering how did part of the primer get you if (and I say if) the bolt was still closed or did the bolt or something let go?

Well the rifle is a Winchester M70, from around '69. Not that it means it is anything special, just from around then. As to the hows and where things came out of and got to, not sure but they got out somehow probably through the gas ports on the side of the action. Not sure to be honest, but they got out and stunk like hell.

Bolt was closed and still secure when I got home and took quite a smack to open the bolt. A neighbor at the time was doing quite a bit of gun smithing and checked it all out for me before I trusted it again. He said the case was toast but that everything checked out ok with the action and bolt. Since then I have always been a bit more careful with my loads.

I have had issues arise with newer powders and loads when temperatures changed from cool in the morning to warm in the afternoon as it does here in TX on a regular basis in the spring and fall. That is one reason I like to work up loads in the late spring or early summer when temps are riding the mid 70's in the mornings and 80's in the evenings. Thats a lot closer to the actual temperatures we're more likly to be shooting in for most of the year.

Thank goodness the bolt didn't let loose. I guess if a piece came out the gas port then at least it wasn't something big...still sucks. Thanks for responding.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.