Something very WRONG with this photo.

After having worked at a taxidermy shop fir many years..particularly skinning and fleshing......I don't see a problem with anything on the foot....every person has a different footprint as well as handprints...every bear is the same....heck there aren't two animals exactly alike anywhere in the world....
Some bears have hard calluses feet..maybe they walk on a lot of rocks....."most" of the bears I have worked on were from Oregon coast..walking on fir needle covered forest floors.....soft fleshy feet...some feet had lots of fatty tissue some not so much...
If you doubt....go to the shoe store where Al Bundy works.....

This thread is kind of funny....:)

That is a picture of me and my black bear a few years ago. The camera lens was purposely close to the bear to make a dramatic perspective. The foot and leg were still attached to the bear.

My color vision isn't very good to comment on the colors, but this bear was shot in an area where most are color phase bears. Mine was almost all black.

Here's the story of the hunt:

My 8,000 Foot Wyoming Black Bear

Yes........But "BLACK" Bears retract their claws like a cat retracts it's claws. In the photo the claws are extended. Brown Bears (Grizzly) do not retract their claws, they are always extended. So the photo is of a Brown Bear (Grizzly) paw photo shopped onto a black bear......Is that correct.....???

This thread is kind of funny....:)

That is a picture of me and my black bear a few years ago. The camera lens was purposely close to the bear to make a dramatic perspective. The foot and leg were still attached to the bear.

My color vision isn't very good to comment on the colors, but this bear was shot in an area where most are color phase bears. Mine was almost all black.

Here's the story of the hunt:

My 8,000 Foot Wyoming Black Bear

If your telling me that there are bears in North America that have white paws........I have to call ******** on your post. I have skinned hundreds of bears over the last 50+ years, 34 years as a professional hunting guide in Alaska, and never one had white paws.

After having worked at a taxidermy shop fir many years..particularly skinning and fleshing......I don't see a problem with anything on the foot....every person has a different footprint as well as handprints...every bear is the same....heck there aren't two animals exactly alike anywhere in the world....
Some bears have hard calluses feet..maybe they walk on a lot of rocks....."most" of the bears I have worked on were from Oregon coast..walking on fir needle covered forest floors.....soft fleshy feet...some feet had lots of fatty tissue some not so much...
If you doubt....go to the shoe store where Al Bundy works.....

As to the assumption that the bears feet are white......take a look at the ground it was walking on...light colored dirt.....what would your feet look like if you were walking thru that dirt....what would your boots' soles look like....do you not track mud into your house from being out in muddy terrain...
And bears do not have claws that retract....

That's it! I do declare we've run out of things to argue about on the forum!

It's time to start over!
Lol

3061.jpeg
3061.jpeg Here's one to argue about...is it real..or Photoshop.....

Yes........But "BLACK" Bears retract their claws like a cat retracts it's claws. In the photo the claws are extended. Brown Bears (Grizzly) do not retract their claws, they are always extended. So the photo is of a Brown Bear (Grizzly) paw photo shopped onto a black bear......Is that correct.....???
Dude, black bears DO NOT have retractable claws. Maybe you somehow missed that while skinning 300 of them. mtmuley

I'm so confused. I'm from Texas and we don't have bears that I know of, so I don't know much about them and was hoping to learn on the interwebs. I'm not sure from reading this thread that I'm any closer to knowing a bear when I see it. Will it's claws be retracted? Will it's paws be purple if it's standing in orange paint? What kind of picnic basket does it prefer?

It has been a lot of years since I worked on a bear....maybe they changed..morphed.....so I sent a text to the owner of the taxidermy shop that I worked at...posed the colored foot pads question to him.....and he returned "rotflmao"....of the few "thousand" he has worked on, and a lot while teaching me....he says..."not all bears have black feet..actually very few have black feet..most are a color called "UMBER"number is a very dark brown/black color)....and some color phased bears have grayish colored pads"....but not all....he has only owned the taxidermy shop for 6 years...but he started working there full time at 16 years of age.....he could skin, flesh, turn the ears, mouth and eyes of a bear in two hours....without help....

Black Bears sheath their claws, that is one of the things that allows them to climb trees. Their claws are always sharp, because they don't touch the ground when the walk. Brown Bears do NOT sheath their claws, which is why they are dull and rounded on the tips of the claws.

I would have to say....a black bear is very small compared to a brown or a griz..but there is a different method to determine the animal type......its the whistle in the brown crap....

and here is a washed out coastal black....with a 2506 cartridge...just a little bear....

But you win.....it doesnt show claws.....therefore they must be "sheathed"...

Attachments

• 20141107_092832.jpg
    20141107_092832.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.