Somebody left the gate open

BAR BAR 2

And I wandered in.

Hello, Gentlemen.
My name is Tex Adams and I am from NE Wyoming. I have always been more of a hound hunter than a big game hunter, but a few things have come along to increase my interest in the different pursuits available here in my area. The Hostile Native (wife) and I ranch and run a few cows and I am also a welder in the oilpatch, whenever we can keep the government from screwing things up, that is. Due to the abundance of antelope and the fact that we live in a good area, I also guide a few hunters here on the ranch each year.

Anyhow, like I said above, I have always been more into hound hunting and didn't really care to hunt something unless it ran up a tree or fought back. That all changed a while back though. I had expressed an interest in getting into distance shooting, so three of my smartalec friends, on the advice of another friend who made a living as a professional shooter, decided to buy me a Remington 700 chambered in .308. What they failed to mention was exactly how expensive of a hobby and addiction this would become. GRRRR.

Well, being a Winchester 94 fan and not knowing spit from Shinola about distance rifles, I took this bone stock piece of wonder down to Chuck at Mac's Gunworks in Gillette, Wy and told him to make it gooder. I had to explain that I knew absolutely nothing about distance shooting and I needed to him to keep the price of the finished product under that which the wife could use to justify my demise and disappearance. Basically, what I wanted was a good 'workinig man's rifle'. He and I have since became good friends and I don't think I've shot the old 30-30 a single time.

I still take a religious view when it comes to hound hunting, but I would consider it blasphemous to have this nice rifle and not let her out of the pen to stretch her legs some. That is why I have been trying to plan some different hunts in pursuit of the game we have here in the Cowboy State. Never having been much of a big game hunter though, I am having to rely on the good nature of others who are willing to help me out with information and advice. Luckily, I have a friend who comes to help at branding time each year, that is pointing me in the right direction on a few different things. This year is the first time that I have put in for an elk tag, so I'm hoping to get lucky there.

Over the past few weeks I had been looking around the innerwebz for a site such as this, but had come up short in my hunt. I knew I was needing to get somewhere that had good sources of information all corraled up together, but too many of the site I was finding were geared toward the 'hook and bullet' types who had more money than know-how. It just so happened though, I was out at Mac's the other day and I saw a guy wearing a cap with the name of this site, so I checked it out after I got home and explained to the Hostile Native that I had been out at the nudey bar all day. She gets owly when I spend too much time at the gunshop, so I have to think up plausible lies and hope she buys them.

So anyway, you guys left the gate open and now I'm here.

Tex

Welcome Tex, I understand there is a 2200 yard steel plate range out that way. Ernie Bishop has spoke of it. I have land in Sweetwater County just west of Rawlins, Wy. I will be out that way from Fl. next month for the summer, only bummer about that is we don't have enough room to bring some of my long range firearms. If I did bring them I'd also need my reloading equipment. Enjoy LRH, by the way Ernie is out of Gillette.

Don Dunlap

Hi Don,
Yes, there is a range set up at the gunshop I mentioned in my post. They have steel set up farther out than what my capabilities are, by far. I would encourage you to go ahead and bring your rifles. Finding room to shoot them is really not that difficult.

I belive it may have been Ernie who was wearing the LRH cap at the gunshop the other day, but I have never been introduced to know for sure. If I'm not mistaken, his family owns a ranch downriver from us.

Tex

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts