Some times the shooting gods smile

ss7mm

Ever have one of those days when it seems like your muscles are under full control, your heartbeat can be slowed and controlled as if by magic, your breathing is so smooth it's like you're not even breathing or moving, your trigger finger seems to apply pressure as if a robot was doing it, and every thing just seems to click?

I got my scope back today from the Leupold custom shop after having new turrets installed. Got everything mounted, leveled etc. and headed for the canyon to try it before I ran out of daylight.

I had done the ladder test recently with Ramshot Magnum and 7mm Wildcat ULD RBBT 169.5 grain bullets and determined the load to use in my 7mm Wby. mag. It's been bedded, floated, trigger tuned etc., but is pretty much a stock factory rifle with the exception of the Holland QD brake. I bore sighted the rig at 28 yards, made an adjustment and went to 100 yards. The first shot measured a little low and left of where I wanted it. After measuring and adjusting the scope I shot the 3 shot group up and to the right of the "1S" sighter.

297722.jpg

As near as I can measure it's .091". It's easy to see the upper right and upper left shots but the #2 shot in the lower left can't be easily detected without the micrometer. It's just a few thou below the #1 shot. I wasn't about to shoot 2 more and try for 5 shots because I know it would have grown.

Was it a fluke? **** right. Can the gun do it routinely and average .091" at 100 yards? Never. Did it to it today, just once? You bet it did, and it sure felt good. Can't wait to get it out to the long range area and see what the Wildcats will do at longer range.

Normally it's ½"+/- groups for this gun, which for a factory rifle is pretty good. But since switching to the Wildcat Ramshot combo it sure seems to like what it is being fed.

Kirby: You'd better wave your magic wand over those two new rigs because I expect them to do a lot better.

You know where that target goes don't you?
On the refrigerator door! unless of course, you have an office at work, then it goes on the back of the door.
Every time you see it you say to yourself "I can shoot like this"
Definately a fluke, but when they happen, soak them up.

Really nice target.

I am going to leave in a few minutes and go to the range to test some bullets in a 7mm Wby. A couple of questions if U have the time

The Wildcat bullets- are these the J4 jackets or the hunting bullets?

Second, what primer are you using?

U know what'd be nice, don't u?? 10 X that grp. size @ 1000. WHOOOAHHH, i guess that'd make Kirby, and Richard our heroes, ehhh???

ss7 after looking at that group I don't wanna post anymore of mine up here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Those factory sticks will surprise you once in a while when you least expect it and show off and when they do you sure feel good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Those wildcats are very good shooting bullets in my rig as well but I can't match that group. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good shooting ss7!
Keep us posted on those long range tests.

sscoyote:

10x that group at 1000 yards and I'd have a heart attack. Anybody would. I don't think you could fire enough groups at 1000 yards to have even a remote chance of .910" at that range. A fluke is a fluke but for that to happen at 1000 yards would be virtually impossible.

ss7mm,

Very nice shooting. Its these few factory rifles that shoot like this that make our job as custom rifle makers harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

While I will not say your new toys will print these types of groups all day long, I will say you will see more groups like this then you will with your factory pipe.

Better yet, you will see results like this at extreme range:

298152.jpg

Took this big boy this morning after barely missing a chuch by inches at 1255 yards.

I will tell you you will get well under 1/2 moa at 100 yards but you will be happier with the results at extreme range I assure you.

And if you think its impossible to get a sub 1" three shot group at 1000 yards, I would say it would be EXTREMELY rare but not impossible.

Here is my best 500 yard group to date:

253475.jpg

So will any of us shoot a sub 1" group at 1000 yards, more then likely not. Is it possible? Hell, what else would be our goal!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Shooting. Getting a group in the 0.09"s is very impressive, espeically with a 7mm Wby Mag.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

Yeah, I know for a factory tube it's pretty good but it's not a representative group for the rifle. More like .5" plus or minus and I'm happy with it. I have no false expectations for this tube. I know what it's capabilities are, and I know what the new rigs will be like. Bring 'em on. This old piece of junk is gonna be setting in the corner of the safe.

Can't wait to get the 270 back and see what it and it's big brother can do, especially at longer ranges. It's amazing to run the ballistics of your Allen Mags at longer ranges and see what the drop, velocity, drift and energy levels are at 1000 yards and beyond. It's gonna be a whole new world from 800-1000 on out.

Good points-- i kinda figured that <.1 MOA @ 1000 would be a once in a lifetimer. I'm not sure what the 10 shot record is, but i thought something around 4" or so?? Gotta admit tho that 500 yarder is something to see. Pretty impressive. U know tho Kirby-- me thinks u're too young to be this good-- how does a youngster get that good??

Will have the XP up and running with the 200's as soon as the relatives leave.

ss7mm,

To get a group like that out of any rifle, things have to be pretty well pu together and if you say this rifle is a 1/2 moa class rifle, it obviously can shoot well.

Yes, ballistically these loads flat out run hard. The magic here is really the bullet and nothing else. Sure the case is designed as well as a case with this much capacity can be and the throat design is proving exceptionally consistant with these Allen Mags.

It is true that for their individual caliber families they are the tops using any bullet but using conventional commercially available bullets will reduce this to some degree.

Its really the combination of the rifle, cartridge, barrel and bullets that combine to offer ballistics we have just begun to play with in calibers under 338. And as far as trajectory goes and wind drift, even the big 338s don't match up.

The funny thing is I am shooting a load that produces roughly 3265 fps. Very mild as this round has the potential to reach 3400 fps with the 169.5 gr ULD in a 30" pipe.

I started with this load because I was using the rifles before I had Full Length sizing dies and as such I had to load to a level that would allow only neck sizing and still easy chambering.

I just have not ran the pressures back up to top levels because I really don't see a need. The mid 3200 fps range with a .750 BC bullet is mighty impressive.

Wait till you get your +.900 BC bullet clipping along at the same velocity!!!

Honestly, with a quality set up, 800 yards is a relative ship shot if you have done the homework. I will admit it spoils you though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

SS,

Hey now, its not polite to talk about age around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Luckily I was shooting by the time I could pick up a firearm and I was fortunate enough to have a father and grandfather that enjoyed the outdoor life style. Just grew up in it.

No different then any other of the shooters and hunters on this post.

The rifles, well, thats just from watching the correct way to build a rifle learning how it is done and doing it and being willing to try some new things as well.

Your no different my friend, don't know to many guys that are effective at 1/2 mile with a firearm, let alone a handgun. You can do things I have not gotten into, YET.

I hope someday we can throw some lead side by side!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

U are wise well beyond your years my friend. We will shoot LR handguns together someday for sure (if nothing else we need to humble the XP guy-- which might just take a little work, truth is).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.