Some questions concerning scope mounting.

DartonJager

I have on the way a Bushnell DMRII-i in 3.5-21x50 and with a little luck a possibly also a LRTS-i and these will be the first scopes I have ever owned or used that are of a a tactical design meant to be dialed, and the first scopes with a side mounted parallax adjustment . All scopes I presently owned or have owned are of the non-tactical set-it-and-for-get-it design not meant to be dialed once zeroed whos parallax is adjustment is located on the front objective.

While researching a good set of 30mm and 34mm scope rings I came across some information that prompted me to post this question for help.
I have over the last 20+ years mounted countless scopes on mine and my friends rifles and even shotguns and I have acquired a well equipped scope mounting tool set and have enjoyed a 95%+ problem free scope mounting success rate.

While researching ring reviews I found several long threads (one in fact actually here) discussing how WHERE on the tube of the scope you place the scope into the rings can be of significant importance as far as applying pressure to the internal erector workings of the scopes elevation, wind, and parallax adjustments which if located to closely or on top of can cause significant POI VS POA issues and resulting in not having a reliable zero.

I had been told many years ago by a smith I knew who was working on one of my guns who taught me how to mount a scope to always place my rings so it allowed me to place the scope in them so they were as far as possible form the scope adjustments. I have always done this.

Now that I am going to be mounting a scope or scopes that it's tube placement in the rings is likely to be of the utmost critical importance how do I know where exactly is the correct or safest place to the tube in the rings to eliminate any chance of the rings applying pressure to the internal workings of the scopes erector systems?

Will what I already know and have done be sufficient or does ring placement on the tube vary in location from scope manufacturer to manufacturer and I will need to call Bushnell if no scope mounting information pertaining to where to place the tube in the rings is included in the owners manual? I do not want to assume if it says nothing that scope tube placement is not of nay importance.

Thanks,
Arthur.

Last edited:
My take on this subject is if you have good base and rings it doesn't matter where on the tube they get placed. If you torque the ring caps evenly to the recommended amount there should be no problem.

I have on the way a Bushnell DMRII-i in 3.5-21x50 and with a little luck a possibly also a LRTS-i and these will be the first scopes I have ever owned or used that are of a a tactical design meant to be dialed, and the first scopes with a side mounted parallax adjustment . All scopes I presently owned or have owned are of the non-tactical set-it-and-for-get-it design not meant to be dialed once zeroed whos parallax is adjustment is located on the front objective.

While researching a good set of 30mm and 34mm scope rings I came across some information that prompted me to post this question for help.
I have over the last 20+ years mounted countless scopes on mine and my friends rifles and even shotguns and I have acquired a well equipped scope mounting tool set and have enjoyed a 95%+ problem free scope mounting success rate.

While researching ring reviews I found several long threads (one in fact actually here) discussing how WHERE on the tube of the scope you place the scope into the rings can be of significant importance as far as applying pressure to the internal erector workings of the scopes elevation, wind, and parallax adjustments which if located to closely or on top of can cause significant POI VS POA issues and resulting in not having a reliable zero.

I had been told many years ago by a smith I knew who was working on one of my guns who taught me how to mount a scope to always place my rings so it allowed me to place the scope in them so they were as far as possible form the scope adjustments. I have always done this.

Now that I am going to be mounting a scope or scopes that it's tube placement in the rings is likely to be of the utmost critical importance how do I know where exactly is the correct or safest place to the tube in the rings to eliminate any chance of the rings applying pressure to the internal workings of the scopes erector systems?

Will what I already know and have done be sufficient or does ring placement on the tube vary in location from scope manufacturer to manufacturer and I will need to call Bushnell if no scope mounting information pertaining to where to place the tube in the rings is included in the owners manual? I do not want to assume if it says nothing that scope tube placement is not of nay importance.

Thanks,
Arthur.
I would think that having the scope fit you with the proper natural eye relief is way more important that that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.