Some questions about an older Rem 870 wingmaster

Southernfryedyankee

I have an old wingmaster from the 70's that is rated for 2 3/4" shells. Does that include modern day 2 3/4" high brass shotgun slugs with the appropriate rifled barrel? I have 2 870's a new model and the old 870 wingmaster, If I sighted my slugger with the newer 870 and the wingmaster WILL accept modern day 2 3/4" slugs if I were to switch barrels would that effect my accuracy and scope that has been sighted in from 1 shotgun action to the other? Someone made mention of possibly using an ejector for a 3" shell if the barrel is rated for 2 3/4-3" shells can this be done on the older action. Is the body that houses the firing pin on the older wingmaster made of steel and could it handle a 3" shell SAFELY?
The last 4 digits of serial# on the older 870 ends with 971v

The older 870 should shoot modern 2 3/4 inch slugs just fine. You should not shoot 3 inch shells out of the 2 3/4 receiver. Changing a slug barrel from 1 receiver to another can change the point of impact dramatically.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.