Some long range shooting for a 17 WSM.

I purchased a Savage B mag, reaching out to 250 yards for varmints is casual shooting. As long as I do my part and place it in the right area of the neck or ear, the coyotes drop! Highly underrated cartridge!

I had the opportunity to buy one at a local sporting goods store when they first came out. They had them marked down to $200 and the only reason why I didn't buy it was because the guy behind the counter educated me on how difficult it was to find ammo for. I kick myself for not getting it but he was not wrong about the ammo. Seems like there was only a year or two where it could be found with any regularity.

As far as varmint rounds though, what kind of varmints are you wanting to shoot? Coyotes? Or the ground dwelling type? .223 is hard to beat for either and dirt cheap to shoot. .204 is great as well. I recently went to a 6 BR due to being able to load 55 gr bullets going over 3700 fps and also load 105gr bullets going 2800-2900 for the longer shots, not to mention the round lives up to its name in the accuracy department.

Recent Posts