some load development findings

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Made it to the range yesterday afternoon and had said that I would post what I learned.

I did not get a chance to work with the 6.5-06, should get to try that one this eve.

I ran a string of load development with my 30-338 lap imp using Win 780 Supreme and 177g GS HV. I have wanted to try this powder for some time now and so far I am glad that I gave it a shot. I wanted to use the ball powder because I have suspected the extruded H1000 of giving me random pressure spikes. I was not able to get as much load density as I wanted but fairly good. I was able to reach 3730fps with 104grains before pressure signs. One grain higher showed slight ejector mark and slight crater in the primer. I could probably run this but decided to back off one grain. 105 grains gave me 3770fps. I will shoot the 104g load tonight and see if velocity is consistent.

Brian loaded a string of US869 in his 300 rum with the 177g HV. I always thought that this powder would be too slow. I was wrong. He stopped stepping up the charge when he could not put anymore in. No pressure and very good velocity. 112g produced 3500fps. Load is compressed and should show great consistency. Will shoot them tonight and see.

So when I got home last night I loaded a string of US869 in my 30. If it works in the lap like it did in the rum I think it will be fantastic.

The big lesson of the day is that Superformance and large capacity magnums do not mix. It may be pretty slow on the chart but it pressures up way too fast. Will not try it again in anything very big.

Steve

Made it to the range yesterday afternoon and had said that I would post what I learned.

I did not get a chance to work with the 6.5-06, should get to try that one this eve.

I ran a string of load development with my 30-338 lap imp using Win 780 Supreme and 177g GS HV. I have wanted to try this powder for some time now and so far I am glad that I gave it a shot. I wanted to use the ball powder because I have suspected the extruded H1000 of giving me random pressure spikes. I was not able to get as much load density as I wanted but fairly good. I was able to reach 3730fps with 104grains before pressure signs. One grain higher showed slight ejector mark and slight crater in the primer. I could probably run this but decided to back off one grain. 105 grains gave me 3770fps. I will shoot the 104g load tonight and see if velocity is consistent.

Brian loaded a string of US869 in his 300 rum with the 177g HV. I always thought that this powder would be too slow. I was wrong. He stopped stepping up the charge when he could not put anymore in. No pressure and very good velocity. 112g produced 3500fps. Load is compressed and should show great consistency. Will shoot them tonight and see.

So when I got home last night I loaded a string of US869 in my 30. If it works in the lap like it did in the rum I think it will be fantastic.

The big lesson of the day is that Superformance and large capacity magnums do not mix. It may be pretty slow on the chart but it pressures up way too fast. Will not try it again in anything very big.

Steve

If US869 worked well then RL33 should work well also. I'll be shooting some 177's using Retumbo and RL17 in a couple of weeks as soon as I get the RUM put back together from nitriding. I'm thinking the nitriding might make it friendlier to RL17 which would otherwise be too fast. Might also try RL33 depending on how Retumbo performs.

Got to the range again last night and got some velocities on the 117g .264 in the 6.5-06. Ran a string with Hybrid 100. Looks promising so far, finished out at 56g and a velocity of 3393. No pressure signs. This is a compressed load. Ran out of light for the chrony and could not get velocity for the varget string.

US869 did not work in my 30. Just couldn't burn enough to get the velocity. Shot a few of the loads with W780 at 200y to see if they would group and they stayed in 1" with out any seating depth adj. Not enough light to check for velocity spread.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.