Some hammer damage

180 yds. Slightly quartering towards me. 174g hammer hunters from a 300 wsm. I was worried about the effectiveness of these bullets because our deer are so small here. Turns out better than expected. The entrance right behind shoulder. Did not want mess up any meat. The exit was 1.5" and a small hole about a inch away where one of the petals exited. Very happy with the hammers. @RockyMtnMT
@ButterBean
View attachment 298385View attachment 298381
View attachment 298382
I shot an axis doe last March in a nearly identical position with the entrance just behind the shoulder and the exit back like that and it was the exact same result with stuff coming out of the exit like that. Mine was with the .300 win mag and a 199 hammer

Texas, and was a 6.5 creedmore.
After talking with Steve my first thought process was correct. I've never seen any damage like this before with hammers. Usually a perfect 1.5"-2" exit.
I think I hit solid bone and the fragments of bone is what caused the massive trauma.
I've actually seen this one other time with my .257 Roy on a pig. And it had tons of little bone fragments in it. I was just not paying close enough attention on this one as I was on my hike back for lunch. So I grab the meat I could save and ran.
Also forgot my meat bags so I walked bag with meat hanging out of every pocket in my hunting clothes.
Thanks for the visual description! I can just picture it ! You must have felt like you were trolling for coyotes or mountain lions.

Well I thought I had my pack on but when I went or load I realized it was my bio straps and left my bag on the utv. So every pocket was full and had meat hanging out.
Guides thought I was gross but I was indeed hoping something would try and make a move on me so I could defend myself

Here is my 124 Hammer Hunter from a 6.5 PRC at 3993FPS on an antelope at 210 yards broadside. Inner and outer exit wound. Entry hole was pretty small as would be expected. 'This is after hanging for three days, obviously it was considerably cleaner looking on the day I shot it.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 115
Here is my 124 Hammer Hunter from a 6.5 PRC at 3993FPS on an antelope at 210 yards broadside. Inner and outer exit wound. Entry hole was pretty small as would be expected. 'This is after hanging for three days, obviously it was considerably cleaner looking on the day I shot it.
Are you really getting 3993 with the 124 HH in your 6.5 PRC? If so, I'd like to know how. My 6.5-284 could only get over 3200 fps with that bullet and just over 3400 with tge 123 AH.

I'm getting .3-.4" consistently with 124s at .030" off lands at 2950fps......got .5-.6" at .020" off. Extremely easy to develop a load. Same with many other cartridges I'm loading for(257 Roberts, 25-06, 264 WM, 280 Rem, 280 Ackley, 300 Wby and soon 220 Swift).
If you don't mind my asking what are you running in the 25 06, ran into pressure issues last weekend in a buddies 25 06 with 110 gr hammers that we weren't expecting, he's leaving on the 10th for Wyoming so we have this weekend to try and work things out,

If you don't mind my asking what are you running in the 25 06, ran into pressure issues last weekend in a buddies 25 06 with 110 gr hammers that we weren't expecting, he's leaving on the 10th for Wyoming so we have this weekend to try and work things out,
I'm running the 90AH's in the 25-06AI

I'm running the 90AH's in the 25-06AI
What type of powder charge are you running compared to similar weight conventional core bullets, we took a proven load out of the book 56 grs of reloader 22 along with 58.5 grs of Winchester WMR powder behind 115 to 120 gr nosler and hornady bullets, he's been using both powders for a number of years, with a 10 gr lighter bullet he reduced the powder by 2 grs for the reloader powder and 3 for the Winchester and blew primers in both, all That's on me I was convinced that was going to be fine, the bullets were mine but I'm was not planning on shooting them just yet so I gave them to him to try, I felt I was being more than cautious which certainly proved wrong, so rather than waste time bullets and powder figured I should just ask.