Some hammer damage

I guess I will have to get some of the 6.5 99gr bullets to try in my Grendel's.

I did notice he doesn't carry any .310 bullets. I hunted this year exclusively with my 7.62x39 AR using the Barnes bullets. I shot deer out to 130 yards and was super pleased with the performance of those bullets...5 WT deer and two pigs. I only recovered one bullet that ran down the top of the spine between the back straps after pass through the vertebra of the neck. I lost no meat from either back strap...that's not going to happen with a lead core bullet.

On two different WT deer had three ribs broke on the off side, only one hit a rib going out.

Sorry to high jack your thread OP!
Here is the only 7.62x39 bullet I recovered;
20200105_182849.jpg

I just started load work with the 99's and the Grendel. I think that's the key weight for that round. I was testing some 123 eld this year on game and I think it's a bit slow of speed for that bullet. Min expansion on them even at 200 yards.
Think the hammer 99 or 100 eld will be my go to for that round

I just started load work with the 99's and the Grendel. I think that's the key weight for that round. I was testing some 123 eld this year on game and I think it's a bit slow of speed for that bullet. Min expansion on them even at 200 yards.
Think the hammer 99 or 100 eld will be my go to for that round

I agree the 100gr class bullets are "key weight" for the Grendel, so a 99gr Hammer might be a good match.

Last season I took several WT deer and hogs with the Hornady 123gr SST and was very pleased with the results.

But after seeing such positive results with my 7.62x39 with Barnes bullet it got me to thinking about a copper bullet for the Grendel. This past week I bought and loaded a box of 120gr GTX to try in the Grendel.

I sure wish I had seen this post before I loaded all the GTX bullets.:confused::confused:

How much jump do they like?
They really aren't sensitive to seating depth. The only one I had to play with was the 166 gr in my 300 WSM. I stayed it 0.005" deeper and it snugged you nicely.
Depending upon Mag length, I try to seat the bullets deep enough for make them very concentric. It's where the boat tail/ base junction of the bullet is even with the neck/shoulder junction of the brass.

* seated 0.005" deeper and it snugged up nicely

I swear autocorrect is the bane of my existence. It tries to change my nephews name of Gavin to vagina all the time. It's a family joke now.

They don't seem to care about jump much. I load them just shy of mag length and they all have shot under .5" moa with ever powder charge. So I've never bothered changing seating depth.
Makes loading much less stressful.

That's a big plus when talking about something like the 6.5 Grendel because your so limited by the platform it self, mag length is as close to the lands as you can get.