Some hammer damage

I wouldn't use a bullet that did that to an animal I was gonna eat, and I do eat pigs. Of course, what I do doesn't affect anyone else.

Like I said this was a one off. I've shot lots of game with them and this is the only one that did this. I was very shock I can only assume it was part of the shoulder that helped make that mess. It was a smaller pig also. I've had damage like that before and it's rare but seems to happen on pigs. Not sure it it's shoulder or something causes it to tumble early. But I'd rather have it on the ground than lost.
You can only take so much meat with you when packing and you see lots of pigs.
I even brought home a ram. Meat always goes to good use if I can. Sometimes you just lose some for weird reasons.

Wow that is devastating. I am loading 199 grain HH in my 300 PRC for an upcoming hunt in South Africa. Looking forward to seeing how they work.

I will be loading that same bullet in my new 300 Sherman mag ultra light. Debated going heavier but think the speed will be king for most the distance I will be shooting. May do a cup and core for steel ringing though.

I'm right at 2900fps with varget. In a 22" tube. I've seen no pressure yet but stopped at that point because it shot very well and I wanted to be safe when traveling or the heat. May resume load work this summer. But not sure the extra 50-100fps would make all that big of difference with my self imposed 600 yards limit on game. And that distance comes closer as game changes cause the creed no matter the bullet runs out of steam for game imo. I went with the 22" seemed to be a good balance with and without a brake. I run a harvester which is a bit long but seems great. Only time I notice the extra length is trying to get out of the truck or rzr quick for some pigs.
I think a 20" would be fine.
For your said distance I would say the creed fits the ticket perfectly. I had two complete pass through a on big hogs last week one at 398 and one at 404 with the hammers. Had some serious wind to deal with but it was a blast.
I'm running the 124 at 3033 fps with RL16 in a 24" Proof barrel. Load development took 6 total shots. Then verified accuracy and velocity with a total of 7 more shots. Like I told Steve at Hammer Bullets, load development is boring with his billets!! C804B137-5FB0-46E2-A647-DDECD77D41C4.jpeg

I will be loading that same bullet in my new 300 Sherman mag ultra light. Debated going heavier but think the speed will be king for most the distance I will be shooting. May do a cup and core for steel ringing though.
I have also shot the 214 grain HH and they shoot just as good but obviously slower. One thing I have learned over the last ten years is accuracy is where its at. Doesn't matter how fast they are shooting if you don't make a good shot.
Good Luck.

So far in 2 seasons, we've shot hogs, javelina, antelope and deer with 98 gr and 124 gr Hammers and only had two animals that weren't DRT and they were poor shot placement and didn't go far! Deadly and Accurate! Have several other calibers to test in the near future!

I'm running the 124 at 3033 fps with RL16 in a 24" Proof barrel. Load development took 6 total shots. Then verified accuracy and velocity with a total of 7 more shots. Like I told Steve at Hammer Bullets, load development is boring with his billets!!View attachment 168278

That's impressive I thought about that powder and may try it. I see no pressure from brass but worried lapua brass is hiding pressure. My ti action has a sticky lift even so often maybe every 120 rounds but no other pressure so not sure if it's that or the ti being sticky.

That's impressive I thought about that powder and may try it. I see no pressure from brass but worried lapua brass is hiding pressure. My ti action has a sticky lift even so often maybe every 120 rounds but no other pressure so not sure if it's that or the ti being sticky.
This is a 6.5 Creed, btw.
I didn't hit pressure but figured I was getting close since Steve told me to look for about 3000 fps, and I didn't load a higher charge. It all grouped so well with each shot increasing in charge 0.5 gr that I just went with the last charge and loaded up 7 to see how it grouped and what the velocity numbers were. As you saw, I was pleasantly surprised. I used RL16 since I couldn't find any Varget in stock.
Now, just an fyi, but I'm getting around 3000 fps with RL26 and the 143 gr ELDX. And, I still haven't hit pressure. That's equivalent to my 6.5-284 Norma using Retumbo.

I love the Hammers! Hands down.
I have been hunting and shooting for many years now. The Hammer Hunters (never tried the other Hammer lines) are easy to load for, accurate and have great terminal performance. I have also shot pigs and deer. Only one recovery of a bullet. It was from a deer facing head on at 300 yards. Recovered the rear of the bullet at the skin in the groin. All animals have been DRT. little meat damage. I am surprised of the damage in the OP. Must have hit the shoulder bone/s causing the bone to shatter and cause more damage. I am slowly moving all my hunting to the Hammers. Will likely still shoot non-monos for target ext to save on costs as I had stocked up on them.
Can't go wrong with the Hammers just wish they were higher BC but all else out weighs the BC IMO.
Jim

I love the Hammers! Hands down.
I have been hunting and shooting for many years now. The Hammer Hunters (never tried the other Hammer lines) are easy to load for, accurate and have great terminal performance. I have also shot pigs and deer. Only one recovery of a bullet. It was from a deer facing head on at 300 yards. Recovered the rear of the bullet at the skin in the groin. All animals have been DRT. little meat damage. I am surprised of the damage in the OP. Must have hit the shoulder bone/s causing the bone to shatter and cause more damage. I am slowly moving all my hunting to the Hammers. Will likely still shoot non-monos for target ext to save on costs as I had stocked up on them.
Can't go wrong with the Hammers just wish they were higher BC but all else out weighs the BC IMO.
Jim
I'm just like you. I hoarded a bunch of non-mono bullets and have a large supply. I use them for target shooting and the Hammers for hunting