Some coyotes from the last few months

I sat down this morning, got a group howling at half to three quarters of a mile away, but they wouldn't come in. I got up and drove to where I thought they were, and low and behold the farmer was feeding his cows, and readily gave me permission to take a crack at them. The wind was perfect when I was walking in and when I put out my decoy, but about the time I started calling it did almost 180° switch blowing my scent directly into the pasture I was sitting in. Hindsight being what it is, I should have just stood up and gone home, but I took the chance and started calling. Within 30 seconds I caught flases of a pair of them cutting through the trees to circle me at about 300y. They got behind me and caught my wind, no chance at a shot. At maybe 10 minutes I had one trot across the middle of the pasture at maybe 110y. I was ready to shoot but I could not make him slow down. Then he caught my wind and turned into a fur missile. I whiffed 3 chances in 10 minutes.

Tough luck. It is good to know your still doing your best to finish. Did you move which spooked the one in the pasture? Keep it up your luck will change.

Tough luck. It is good to know your still doing your best to finish. Did you move which spooked the one in the pasture? Keep it up your luck will change.
He got my wind too. After the wind swirled it was blowing my scent directly into his path.

This is all very interesting to me . So now then let us put a little thought into this . When do the other animals in your area drop their young 60 days or so before is the breading season for coyote and fox a little before and a little after they will start breading . So a guy called you and said that he needed some coyote taken out , who was there before you , how large is his place , are there others in the area calling close by , what kind and how much prey does he have there , How are your tracking skills ? I haven't hunted in TN. but have in southern IN. some they don't talk there when they have pups in them and just after they drop them . You will call them in but they are very cautious at that time of year ( day time works best for me so I can see them but then I don't have thermals ect. for night hunting ) Do most of the coyote hunters in your area hunt at night ? So many times they will lay up after figuring out where you are and just watch you from a spot that they can watch the den area at the same time so I do more looking now then calling . I will call awhile , maybe just one or two series of calls , then look for one laying up just watching me or moving in to watch me , when that takes place I then use my hand call and do a couple of hurt puppy squeals and stop while observing the coyote . Coyote have the same things on their mind , food , sex , raising their pups no matter where they live . I use hand calls now more then E-calls as so many people have them and they are being used a lot in the last few months so I just figure that the coyote has heard most of the sounds offered to them by now . Now is the time you need to become the better of the hunters the coyote is a very good hunter or there wouldn't be any left for us to hunt be adaptable , they are , be cautious , they are , sit quietly , look , listen , walk quietly and study them in your area , track them see where they travel where they bed down where they play where they hunt where they drink water from most often . When are they active in your area do they follow the moon as the deer and fish do in your area . If so be there before they become active and just wait for them I have had some that I had to set up an ambush for them by tracking them to see where they traveled most often . Good luck with these coyote don't get tense just take it easy and enjoy the hunt for them . When you are not at ease with your environment the animals can sense it .

Rankin, alltheway, what decoy are you using?
I just use the attached fur burger on my foxpro. I don't always turn it on. I think that while I'm primarily playing vocalizations, I'm better off with them coming in searching instead of knowing where the sound comes from exactly. I've never tried anything but the spinning fur burger type.

Studies done by several colleges and the USDA show that at 1000 yards a coyote knows within 5 yards where the sound they heard came from .
I've heard that stuff all my life, but I really doubt that. How many times have they been 30 feet from where you were blowing your mouth call and have no idea where you are? I've seen guys pick up their tripod and spin 180° with a coyote at 50y and the coyote doesn't react at all. I think their senses are impressive, but not to the degree of the mythology that surrounds them. If they could actually hear that well, we would never kill them. If they could see and smell as well as the mythology suggests, we would never kill them. You can shoot his buddy with 2 or 3 bullets and 10 minutes later he might run right at you. If they know within 5 yards where that gun shot came from, how do we explain them running in?

Not all people or animals are created equal . I had a dog that was stone cold deaf but was a very good hunting dog he learned some sign language you put a collar on him and he knew it was hunting time he hunted with his nose and eyes the collar would vibrate to get his attention and you would see him coming back to you . You can take a blind dog and it will learn it's surroundings but if you move some thing it will bump into it till it learns that you moved it . I use my ears a lot and can hear coyote bark or howl when others don't I used to listen to bugs and snakes crawling in the leaf litter and grass when there were things wanting me killed , but my brother has to read lips . Some animals and people are gifted with better intelligence then others while some like me have to struggle with some aspects of learning . In the end it's our decision on what we want to read or not read believe or not believe we live in the finest country there ever was or will be because that is what we have the freedom to do .

This is all very interesting to me . So now then let us put a little thought into this . When do the other animals in your area drop their young 60 days or so before is the breading season for coyote and fox a little before and a little after they will start breading . So a guy called you and said that he needed some coyote taken out , who was there before you , how large is his place , are there others in the area calling close by , what kind and how much prey does he have there , How are your tracking skills ? I haven't hunted in TN. but have in southern IN. some they don't talk there when they have pups in them and just after they drop them . You will call them in but they are very cautious at that time of year ( day time works best for me so I can see them but then I don't have thermals ect. for night hunting ) Do most of the coyote hunters in your area hunt at night ? So many times they will lay up after figuring out where you are and just watch you from a spot that they can watch the den area at the same time so I do more looking now then calling . I will call awhile , maybe just one or two series of calls , then look for one laying up just watching me or moving in to watch me , when that takes place I then use my hand call and do a couple of hurt puppy squeals and stop while observing the coyote . Coyote have the same things on their mind , food , sex , raising their pups no matter where they live . I use hand calls now more then E-calls as so many people have them and they are being used a lot in the last few months so I just figure that the coyote has heard most of the sounds offered to them by now . Now is the time you need to become the better of the hunters the coyote is a very good hunter or there wouldn't be any left for us to hunt be adaptable , they are , be cautious , they are , sit quietly , look , listen , walk quietly and study them in your area , track them see where they travel where they bed down where they play where they hunt where they drink water from most often . When are they active in your area do they follow the moon as the deer and fish do in your area . If so be there before they become active and just wait for them I have had some that I had to set up an ambush for them by tracking them to see where they traveled most often . Good luck with these coyote don't get tense just take it easy and enjoy the hunt for them . When you are not at ease with your environment the animals can sense it .
I pretty much only hunt at night. I have some farms that if you are on a certain hill top when the sun drops, usually within an hour you'll see at least one but usually more coyotes break from cover. They'll run cattle trails, run paved roads along pastures checking culverts, run through the feedlots... You really don't even need to call. In fact most of the time in spots like that I don't. I don't mind hanging out an hour or two and not calling to be able to shoot 2-3 vs calling and getting one then splitting after 30 mins. I have noticed these spots to have low road traffic.

Other farms with more homes and busier roads, they will usually stay in cover until after "the world has gone to bed" more or less. I can usually call one to a woodline for a shot, but they are hesitant about coming into an open field if there is a lot of people noises going on.

Now that said, I have a couple other spots I hunt that the land adjoins a major Interstate. As soon as it is dark they will run parallel to the Interstate. I am guessing to smell for fresh roadkill. Since the road noise never changes much, they seem to disregard it.

I usually see them all around chicken houses as soon as it is dark. They don't seem too bothered by people there. I have shot one snooping around the backside of a chicken house while the owners were loading chicken racks onto a flatbed out front.

I'll be honest, if it is any kind of farm with livestock, anymore I will not even call the first few times I hunt it. I do a good bit of scouting prior, find a high point where I can overwatch any routinely used trails I find and get there at dark. Set up, watch with the thermal and listen. I have learned more about coyote behavior just sitting and watching with a thermal at night than I ever thought I would. Being able to hit them no matter where they are on the property, so long as I can see them, has been a huge boost to my success.

We have some folks who call/hunt at night, but not enough that I feel anyone else calling has educated a coyoted to the point of them not responding. By responding, I don't mean vocally, I mean closing in. I once would try to keep track of sounds for fear of educating them. I don't anymore. I think they are just like any other K9, most any sound will catch their curiosity. To what degree depends on their mood.

I have been messing with this one pair now for about 6 hunts. They bed right behind a cattle farmer's house. I set up about 600 yards away and will howl at them about an hour after dark. I have been using the exact same howl on the foxpro, same length of time played and I know for certain they winded me at least once. Even so, they will still howl back every time I go and then circle wide about 600-700 yards out to try and wind me. I can easily set up behind his house and get them and I will eventually, but it has been interesting to see just how many times they will keep coming.

People tend to get too hung up on the sounds used. I guess it is because that is one element of the hunt they can control the easiest. If you do your scouting/homework and can be disciplined enough to hunt the wind right you could probably take a screaming rubber chicken out there and call one in. I'd love to do it with something like a hyena laugh call. That said, when you are having a howling ****ing match with one, it does make a difference what you play back as a response.

I do fully acknowledge that how things are where I hunt may be totally different from any of you.

Hootiewho , pretty much the same as what I said it does tend to work . They do seem to learn or become more cautious after they have lived awhile on their own . I have killed a few over the years that didn't have much if any thing left for teeth , they didn't get that old by not being cautious or maybe smart and being able to avoid other hunters trying to kill them .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.