Some Annealing help please

JustC

I built my homemade annealing machine, did the dim lit room thing, and heated some older cases I had in increasing times under the flame. Can anyone who has done this tell me by my pic about where I should go from here??????

Thanks

101_0823.jpg

I'd say that somewhere between the 3rd and 4th from the left.

My only experience is some DWM cases that were annealed from the factory and that's what they looked like. Heat link was just a schoshi bit below the shoulder but not much.

Just a data point. FWIW

JustC:

For your reference "Here is a link to an article about annealing."

Here are a couple of pics of factory 338 Lapua cases that show the factory annealing.
DSC02112Small.jpg
DSC02110Small.jpg

I've always done it by hand but since I've got a few hundred to do I now have an automatic annealer made by Ken Light. Problem is I can't use my hands much for the next month or two so it'll be a while before I get it up and running.

Looks like your fourth from the left is pretty close to the factory job. The case on the right looks like the neck got too much heat and possibly a too far down on the body.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.