Some Advice please

Ksdogman

If you guys had a choice between 300 wsm, or 7mm STW, I'm trying to talk myself out of the 7mm STW but would like to shoot the 7 mm bullet but the 300 gives me a lot of options. Just a little advice thanks

Ryan Thompson

Why not the 7WSM? You are comparing two different capacity calibers. The 7STW will be the obvious choice if you are wanting to run a long ways to kill something, far out reaching the 300WSM. If you want something comparable to the 7STW in the .308 class bullet, then maybe look at the 300RUM. At this point then you compare recoil and how far you want to be able to kill something.

If you were comparing say the 7mmRem Mag, than I would go that route over the 300WSM just for the better class of bullet that can be pushed to long range. Had I known this when deciding on a rifle 2 years ago, I would have gone this route in stead of the 300WSM. I do like my WSM though, I just don't get the performance I was hoping for because of not having things I should have researched into.

If you go for the WSM, you need to decide which bullet you are going with. If it were a custom gun, go with a 1:11 twist instead of the 1:10. This will allow you to push bullets up to the 210grns and gain some velocity over the 1:10 twist. If you are going to go the route of 150 to 190 grain bullets than I would go with a 1:12 twist. I would not buy a shorter barrel than 26" if you want to maintain a higher velocity to attain greater range for larger game. Currently I am limited to about 800 yards for everything from whitetail down, just because I am not comfortable to shoot any further than that. Hope this helps.

Tank

If your looking for something in .284 with bullet weights of 140 to 160grs the 7 WSM is hard to
beat. If you want the largest .284 bullets (168, 175,190) range then I would recomend the
7 STW or the 7 RUM.

And if you want to shoot 200+ grain bullets then I would recomend the 300 WM, 300 RUM or
the 30/378 Weatherby.

In my opinion the 300 WSM is to small to get the potential from the bigger .308 bullets but is
great for the 160gr and down bullets, but the BCs are not as good as the same weight bullets
in .284 dia.

Look at the bullet weight you think you want to use and then decide based on the BC of the
bullet in .284 and .308 and then look at the velocity you expect for that bullet and the cartridge
that will get you there.

Then choose the twist that is recommended for that bullet and velocity.

I like 1 in 9 for all .284 bullets and 1 in 10 for all .308 bullets, this allows you to change bullet
weights with out having twist problems.

Just my 2 cents

J E CUSTOM

Thanks a million for the responses, My plan is to shoot the 168gr. berger, and i would like to get 3000+fps out of it, and the bc is so much better on the .284 then the .308 bullet.
Thanks a million
Ryan Thompson

Thanks a million for the responses, My plan is to shoot the 168gr. berger, and i would like to get 3000+fps out of it, and the bc is so much better on the .284 then the .308 bullet.
Thanks a million
Ryan Thompson

The 168 berger in .284 is considerably better than the 168 in .308. If you want 3000fps, then the 7SAUM or 7WSM would give you that. If you would choose the 7STW then you would be looking at speeds around 3300+ fps. You could always load down with the STW, this also would allow you to load hotter if you so desire plus shoot heavier pills if desired.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.