Solvent for carbon residue

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jb1000br, Jul 7, 2004.

1. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

bore tech eliminator, montana extreme copper cream, good ole JB paste

JB

2. a.JR

a.JR Well-Known Member

GM Top Clean is the best powder fouling compound i have used..JR..Jeff Rogers

3. shilen30

shilen30 Well-Known Member

JB, I see a lot of bore tech products, but none called "eliminator". Is there a link to a place I can get some?

Jeff, I also tried finding "top clean" and couldn't find it. What does the GM stand for?

I have been using Hoppes #9 for years and I figure there has to be something better out there for removing carbon. How about Butches?

[ 07-07-2004: Message edited by: shilen30 ]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

5. Coyote Hunter

Coyote Hunter Well-Known Member

GM Top Cleaner - General Motors, they use it alot for cleaning Mercury aboard engines, that was the primary use...I think.

I have read about people using it as far back as 20 yrs ago for cleaning rifle barrels.
    ---------
    Zod

6. shilen30

I would like to know your guys' opinion on the best solvent for carbon residue. I am not too concerned about the copper fouling since I have not had much of a problem with copper fouling since barrel break in, but carbon is the bad one. The local store here sells the old hoppes as well as shooter's choice. One better than the other?

7. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

I've been using GM top engine cleaner for about 18yrs and now mix in about 25% kroil. Works great. Good luck.

8. jb1000br

The eliminator is very new stuff -- best price is from R.w. hart and son in nescopeck pa -- rwhart.com

the GM top engine cleaner is available at any gm dealer's parts counter -- mine was about 7$

forgot i had the gm stuff -- will have to try it again [​IMG]

just got the eliminator and it seems to do very well!

JB

9. shilen30

Thanks guys, that is a huge help. I am going to try both GM top engine cleaner and eliminator.
    Is there any tricks to the application of the GM top cleaner (length of soak time, # of passes, etc)? Anything to avoid when using it? How about with the eliminator?

10. jb1000br

you need a dropper for the engine cleaner--it comes in a non-user friendly tin can [​IMG]

not really a known protocol for GM treatment--doesnt hurt to soak a few minutes though--takes copper too [​IMG]

JB

11. shilen30

How about your thoughts on Montana X-treme solvent? Just ordered a bottle to try it since I had to place an order at sinclairs anyway.

12. danacobb

danacobb Well-Known Member

I find Butches Bore Shine to work much better than Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Solvent. I haven't tried anything else.