Solo backpackers ???

Sounds like ya did just fine. I think as long as your prepared with water, food, and gps have at it. I go occasionally for days without service. I give my wife a 10 digit grid and tell her to call it in if I don't contact her by a given date. I'd probably get a sat phone if I was going longer then 96 hours. I was stalked within 10 feet by a big cougar alone one evening (pistol was in the tent...). I now always have a side arm on 24/7.

Going it alone is probably safer than going with some of the guys I know. Those are the guys I tell of the story after the fact, not before, that way instead of them inviting themselves I hear "I'd like to try that." I can be very supportive then.😁

WYO300RUM,
That's what happened to me the last time I drove to Colorado and did the solo thing. Had a chipmunk that terrorized me a couple nights, he sounded much bigger in the dead calm of the night. Didn't help (mentally) that the game warden had warned me of some big cats being seen in the immediate area. Next time I do that my dog may be with me.

No tag, just a solo 3 day backpack trip to test my cold weather gear. I hate OTC units, always bulls when you don't have a tag. 5DBC578E-1CCF-4EC4-9627-E66F23ECC10B.jpegCBAE8BA8-305C-415A-8B05-124BC318857C.jpeg69ECA792-01FE-4052-8A12-3A5AE4CAD55C.jpeg

Sad but true, I never seem to be able to draw an archery tag anymore so I'm always stuck with a second choice 4th rifle tag. About the time of year backpacking gets truly miserable and little room for mistakes.

Time to reconsider that strategy.

Seconding the many solid comments here about how going solo really makes you slow down and be more careful about your choices. Field dressing solo is one of those situations that require extreme care and good knife handling practices. Also, the InReach is a game changer, for keeping your loved ones from worrying about your safety. I turn mine off when I'm not checking in, didn't have to charge it during a 10 day trip in October.

Yeah my wife and my dad tell me all the time it's not safe to go out by myself but with my schedule I don't always have a hunting partner so I go by myself. Usually I make it back to my truck and sleep inside or in the bed of the truck. How many of you go on backpack trips by yourself?
I sort of find it peaceful by myself in the woods even if it isn't "safe" but that's me. Some might find it boring but one thing I like is watching the sunrise and sun set over the mountains
In kind of a similar situation years ago in Florida I couldnt always get my friends to go fishing and diving offshore with me many times I would be 30 miles offshore fishing or six or 8 miles offshore and 90+ feet of water diving all alone the wife mentioned her concern many times and actually start a few arguments about it so I just quit telling her if she asked oh yes so-and-so is meeting me at the boat ramp

In kind of a similar situation years ago in Florida I couldnt always get my friends to go fishing and diving offshore with me many times I would be 30 miles offshore fishing or six or 8 miles offshore and 90+ feet of water diving all alone the wife mentioned her concern many times and actually start a few arguments about it so I just quit telling her if she asked oh yes so-and-so is meeting me at the boat ramp

Yeah I tell my wife I am going with someone often but I think she knows I am full of S*** most of the time and knows that she can't do anything to stop me.

just like my dad used to tell me when I was younger...."be safe and have fun". I would reply "it's one or the other". He didn't think that was as funny as I did. But now I have 3 kids and well....I am sure I won't think it's funny either

This thread brings back memories. Twenty + years ago I often went off by myself in the Sierras and the San Gabrials alone. Didn't have satellites or cell phones. I did carry a small handgun but did not think there was a real threat. Now days I prepare for more serious issues. Sad that should be.

Sad that in CA we have pot farmers in the woods during deer season. I came across one grow a few years ago and got the F out of there.
Yea I steer clear of the emerald triangle, which is a shame since there's good black tail country in there. Go north, the trinity alps are calling.....

Yea I steer clear of the emerald triangle, which is a shame since there's good black tail country in there. Go north, the trinity alps are calling.....
I will probably be in D5 this year hike back behind Kirkwood. I've never been to the north coast hunting with time constraints but I have seen pictures of monsters back there both from trail cameras and from successful hunts. I have hunted the C zones and been successful but the deer are pretty small on the public land up there. To many big cats running around those hills!!