• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED ***SOLD P.F****F.S. 7mm-300wsm Defiance L-A3-5 benchmark SSG Custom rifle

308 nate

I have for sale my personal 7-300wsm.
build components:
Defiance action
A3-5 laminate hydro dipped multi-cam, integrated cheeck piece and bubble level, pillar bedded
5R Benchmark Barrel, 26", jackass contour, 1:9 twist, fluted, metal coated KG Kote (bake on) titanium gray
SSG "V" port vaporizer brake
kwik Klip bottom metal
Seekins 20MOA base keyed to Seekins lug
SSG Tactical Traction bolt knob
Shillen trigger

This gun has 140 rounds through it and is shooting exceptionally well.

The 7-300 uses the same headspace as the 300WSM and 270WSM which is shorter than the standard 7WSM. The benefits are a longer neck to suport the longer heavier bullets and availability of good quality Norma brass, which the plain 7wsm does not have. I make my cases out of 270WSM Norma. It doesn't get any easier, you just take the 270WSM case and run it through a Redding type S full length sizing die for 270WSM with a 7mm expander and a
.312 neck bushing. then prime the case' fill it with the prefered powder for the bullet weight ( For a 180 grain berger I prefer H1000) then seat the bullet with 7mmWSM seating die.(which I typically slightly alter the body length)

Bare rifle weight is 10lb 4oz.

(bi-pod, scope, sling and rings not included)

Price $3000 + shipping in the lower 48.

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0234-1.jpg

DSC_0235-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: F.S. 7mm-300wsm Defiance L-A3-5 benchmark SSG Custom rifle

Here is a little history on the gun.
So, I finished the gun up two days before a buddy and I were to leave for the Kettle Falls, WA steel challange.(actually,the clear coat wasn't even dry as I had to go pick it up at my stock finisher, thus the reason I had it re-dipped) I didn't have time to shoot all my brass and then reload, so I loaded up 10 rounds in new brass, then shot a ladder test at 300yd. I then loaded up the other 140 rounds in new brass. Did a quick 5-shot barrel break in. Got some velocity data and drop data out to 600 and we were off to Kettle Falls. The gun did really great. We kicked butt in the long range stuff, but the weird stuff like shooting out of a helicopter, moving targets @ 600yd, shooting out of a boat and mill ranging targets.... (I called one mil instead of .5 mil.....no wonder we didn't hit that target)
I still managed to pull 10th place out of 76 shooters.

DSC000322.jpg

DSC000272.jpg

DSC000372.jpg

DSC000582.jpg

DSC000622.jpg

Then September was upon us and I had the privilege of taking our daughter on a youth doe hunt. She is quite a trooper! She didn't have much time to practice, went out two days before hunting season and shot 1/2 dozen shots at a steel plate in some pretty strong winds...she did well. We made several stands and saw a lot of nice deer, but we just couldn't get everything together in a quick enough time. About a week into the season we decided to head to a real sweet spot. We had to do a bit of walking, after about 1.5 miles of walking we came to an area I figured would be holding some deer, we crept in real slow and I spotted some about 550 yds. out normally this would have been a comfortable range, but we just hadn't shot a lot this year and she didn't feel comfortable at that range so we belly crawled down hill until we were out of sight and then crept closer using the hills as cover, then slid to the top of a hill by some rocks and they were still completely unaware of our presence. We picked one of the three(she had a white tail only tag) and she waited for it to give her a good clean broadside shot.
Boom! Thwack! WoooHoo! perfect shot right behind the front shoulders. Deer ran about 20 yds. and gave it up. Good job Jess! We will be eating well this winter......

0921121959.jpg

So then my turn came. Couple days before season opened I took the rifle out to verify rifle zero...still spot on, just a confidence builder for me. heard about a new spot that I would try so I left the shop opening day around 4p.m, drove about 10 miles through ice and rain and started hiking in. I got in about 1/2 mile and then as I was coming over a hill lots of buffalo berry bushes and a beautiful valley revealed prime hunting area. I saw a couple of white tail does so I was real careful to not alert them while finding an optimum position to watch the area.
Had fun watching the does for about 10 minutes, just waiting for a buck to show up. Then while scanning the hill tops around the valley I saw this buck coming in slow and easy. I watched him for about 5 minutes trying to decide if he was big enough to shoot(I had five preference points for this tag).then after thinking about all the work I had to do in the shop and wanting to have some time to help my wife fill her gratis tag, I decided he was big enough. No long range shot here. 200 yrds in the neck. Bang. Whack. Flop. I have heard of ground shrinkage...but this guy got bigger as I got closer. huge body. He gross scored 174 and only a genetic 4x3. For this area that is a really big muley. inside spread was 24 inches. his G2 were 15 inches, main beams were mid 26 inches. Then came the packing out part.......this thing was a PIG!! I moved him about 50 yds. and I decided I needed help before I had a heart attack. I was on a walk in access only. So, I called one of my brothers to see if he could help. After about 1/2 hour one of my brothers and my dad show up and the three of us with a bit of huffing and puffing got it out of there. Big thanks to them. here are some pix.

1109121716.jpg

1109121715.jpg

1109121714.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

Then there is my wife's hunt (Liz, who by the way didn't even get to do any practice shooting in this year due to our new little addition Graceyn who is now 5.5 months old )Two days after my hunt The weather continued to get worse...real nasty blizzard weather. The winds were 25-30MPH with ground blizzarding we decided it may be worth going out and looking around . After a bunch of glassing we were about to head to the house when this boy showed up about five minutes before legal time was up.... She had removed her gloves to be ready to shoot then we need to move through the tree row really quick. There was a tree branch hidden under the snow that she didn't see......face plant.. poof! powdered donut! So I grabbed the gun up and checked the muzzle and started clearing snow out of the scope lens while she uprighted herself and was melting the snow off of her freezing hands. in all the commotion the buck was trying to figure out what in the world we were! So with the buck watching us we decided we needed to make the shot without moving to a different position as he was only 100yds. away. Between the tree rows the old grass is quite tall and so I laid down and she rested the rifle bi-pod on my back and in the blowing snow she tried to find the buck in the snow picked lenses of the scope so, after a little more clearing of the lens the buck decided it was time to move on and took a step, Liz decided she had to make the shot now or there may not be another opportunity. She shot with cross hairs on the neck. Bang. No thwack! and no Buck..where did it go? I get up and we ask each other if we saw him? Nope. So we headed over to see if we could see a blood trail and there he lay. turns out the bullet went in high neck and exited below the right eye. He hit the ground so fast and because of the bad conditions we didn't even see it. He scored 164 and a 6x5 muley with split brow tines on the left side. Great job Liz for pulling off the shot against all odds.

And all this and I still have ten rounds left out of the original 150. It's been a real busy year and I have not been able to shoot much.
I have decided to sell the rifle so I can buy some really cool tools so I can make some more really cool stuff on some really cool machines this winter. :)

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

Well, I will tell you this, if you aren't in sales or at least marketing you ought to be! :)

I am not even in need of a 7mm and I want to buy this one!

What kind of velocity do you get with the 180 bergers?

Scot E.

Well, I will tell you this, if you aren't in sales or at least marketing you ought to be! :)

I am not even in need of a 7mm and I want to buy this one!

What kind of velocity do you get with the 180 bergers?

Scot E.

Thanks! This combo is getting 2950 with the 180's
308nate

Nate,

A couple of quick questions brother.

What OAL on the 180s?

Also having owned your work I am sure she is feeding like a glass slipper. What mods did you to the Kwik Klip?

Lastly, who did that super nice Multicam dip?

This one has me oooogling and If it were a lighter contour and non adjust stock, well it would have a home in the south!!!

Suuuuper Sexy rig man! Love the MV with those 180s as well!

Great stories and a very nice rifle! Good to see you and your photo's on the site again.

Great looking gun Nate, and good job getting your wife and daughter out hunting. Nice trophys, and your are right that buck you shot is hog for ND. I would buy it if i wasnt getting that 270 weather warrior rebarreled to 284 win by you. :)gun)

Have a great sunday!

Riley

Nate,

A couple of quick questions brother.

What OAL on the 180s?

Also having owned your work I am sure she is feeding like a glass slipper. What mods did you to the Kwik Klip?

Lastly, who did that super nice Multicam dip?

This one has me oooogling and If it were a lighter contour and non adjust stock, well it would have a home in the south!!!

Suuuuper Sexy rig man! Love the MV with those 180s as well!

Thanks!!
3.1 is the OAL.
Only mod to the kwik klip is to slightly open up the feed lips.
Splash Graphics here in Bismarck, ND did the hydro-dip.

Great looking gun Nate, and good job getting your wife and daughter out hunting. Nice trophys, and your are right that buck you shot is hog for ND. I would buy it if i wasnt getting that 270 weather warrior rebarreled to 284 win by you. :)gun)

Have a great sunday!

Riley

Riley,
Thanks It's usually the other way around, my wife(*Prairie Princess* on LRH) and daughter usually get me out hunting.:)
Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!