Softest recoiling 20 gauge

I have a 20 gauge gas beretta and it doesn't kick much. 391 with a 28 inch barrel and it doesn't kick very much. However, my buddy bought a super sport 20 gauge benelli for his family to use. I can tell you it has almost zero felt recoil. I think it has some of the above mentioned items as is.
Lastly, my son and I each have new V3 (only available in 20 gauge). These are more substantial than the 20 gauge models above. However, they don't kick very much at all. If you use the 1 oz. loads that aren't going super fast, I can shoot it all day.
You can also add a little weight to these guns and you'll feel even less hurt.
Any of those that you get fitted to you will be easier on you.

If looking for less recoil, go to a gas-operated system. Not as easy to clean as inertia, but definitely less felt recoil. Just my .02, if wanting to stick with semi auto. I've personally found that a well fitting o/u shotty gives the least felt recoil overall, imo.

Last edited:
<SNIPPED STUFF> Lastly, my son and I each have new V3 (only available in 20 gauge). These are more substantial than the 20 gauge models above. However, they don't kick very much at all. If you use the 1 oz. loads that aren't going super fast, I can shoot it all day. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Can you please direct me to where I can buy this Remington V3 in 20 gauge? I've been waiting for them to release just that for years now. Never seen one. Thanks!

For the OP trueblue - as others have stated, best bet is a gas-operated semi-auto 20ga with some weight to it to cut down the kick. The Rem 11-87 in 20 ga (synthetic stock) is listed at 7 1/8lbs and would be a great choice. The Rem 1100 in 20 ga is listed at 7 lbs and would be my second 'best' recommendation. Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on either of those and it should shoot quite softly.

Here is an 'out-of-the-box' option: buy a Beretta 686 or Browning Citori over-under in 12 gauge and then fit it with a Briley "companion" drop-in 20 gauge tube set (https://www.briley.com/p-52190-companion-drop-in-20-gauge-tube-set-standard-weight.aspx) or the Side-Kick 2.0 tubes (https://www.briley.com/p-52226-side-kick-20-chamber-inserts-for-12-gauge-shotguns-20-gauge-only.aspx)

The added weight of the sub-tubes in the O/U will mitigate some recoil when firing it as a 20 gauge AND you still have a 12ga gun to use when you need more power. With the Side-Kick 2.0 tubes, you get an added benefit of firing a 20 ga in an 'over-bore' barrel which will soften the kick, too. Granted, this is a pricey option compared to just getting a 20ga semi-auto, but if you have the money and want ONE GUN to give you a lot of versatility and still kick softer than your current unit, it's a path to consider.

I shoot a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. Its light, but I can shoot it all day and not get sore. I suspect there is a component related to the type of recoil. It seems like the inertia driven recoil is a long, slow recoil. It's not that violent, kick-to-the-shoulder kinda thing. It's the least punishing shotgun I've shot. In fairness, I use it mainly for Dove hunting and occasional trap and clays, so I'm not shooting magnum loads to begin with, but she's a dream to shoot.

I shot an x3 12 gauge a while back as I was shopping for an auto. It seemed barrel heavy.

How is the balance on the Superx4? Of course it is all personal preference, but recoil gets to be an issue as I get older.

I have a 26" 20ga. It seems feather lite to me, but all my waterfowl guns are heavy. Swings and balances very well, almost like a stack barrel. Had a lot of fun with this year shooting HeviX 4's at ducks. Will kill every bit as far as any 3.5" 12ga steel load. Really opened some eyes.

If you reload, I have great success using Alliant Pro Reach powder that provides same velocity at lower powder charges. I also use it for slugs which it is outstanding to get decent velocity with less powder. You can only reduce recoil through a few ways and using less powder is clearly an opportunity that can be overlooked. These are not reduced loads since they achieve same velocity but with less powder. You can though get even better results through a reduced load with same powder. I use to use 42 grains of SR4756 in a 3" hull to get 1450 fps in a 26" slug barrel. I now use 34 grains of Pro Reach for same velocity in a 2 3/4" hull.

Just a thought to consider.

Link: Alliant Pro Reach

top shotgun is a 1187 field 20ga 2/34-3" interchangable that was offered and when i saw the wood i had it have and it was at a killer price, a hundred rounds at sporting clays was easy.

Attachments

• DSCN0638 (2).JPG
    DSCN0638 (2).JPG
    698.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN0639 (2).JPG
    DSCN0639 (2).JPG
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN0640 (2).JPG
    DSCN0640 (2).JPG
    839.9 KB · Views: 184
to me a 20 ga makes more sense as you can load down to the same shot weight as the 28 ga, i have 28 ga,s and a mec 9000. if you don,t load the 28 ga shell are near double.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.