So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

went in to Academy Sports today looking for some Odds and Ends, All the gun stores up here are bare and most of the owners say everything is hard to get, anyway as always I go thru the guns and Ammo, The Ammo shelves were bare save for the old standbys,243, 25-06, 270 and 308, no 30-06 to be seen, So with all of the discussion lately about the demise of the 270 , 30-06 and 308 to the 6.5 C^^^^^^^r, I guess it rings true....... When it gets tough you'll be able to find ammo for them anywhere

View attachment 206912
butter you have a great story and i agree with the exception 25/06 is ab on the hard to find side but it is a very very good round.

butter you have a great story and i agree with the exception 25/06 is ab on the hard to find side but it is a very very good round.
The 25 caliber 131 grain bullet is really popular in that circle. Seems quite a bit more so than Berger's 170 grain .277 bullet. At least there sure seems to be more talk on the forums about it. Personally it definitely fits as a deer bullet better than a 170 does for me. I think the 170 gets you into the bigger hooved critters. I will say that the 131 has some really good numbers for it's weight. Very close to the 170 and almost 40 grains lighter.

As can be said of MANY cartridges used today with the same requirements.

But, that's the point. The newer cartridges shine because factory chamberings have set them up for success with the best bullets available today. Many of our old favorites, .277 and even .284, are not. The .277 is hampered by a 1:10 and most .284s are hampered by a 1:9.5 (or slower as we've seen in this thread). Set our old favorites up for success in the same way as the 6.5s or the 300PRCs and it's a different story. It's a shame that most manufacturers are not keeping up with the times for the old chamberings. Maybe someone like Bergara will step up and lead the way. I can't imagine Remington or Winchester doing it and Tikka is still hampering their big 30s with a 1:11. Christensen and others in this class don't count as they are out of the price range of most buyers.

went in to Academy Sports today looking for some Odds and Ends, All the gun stores up here are bare and most of the owners say everything is hard to get, anyway as always I go thru the guns and Ammo, The Ammo shelves were bare save for the old standbys,243, 25-06, 270 and 308, no 30-06 to be seen, So with all of the discussion lately about the demise of the 270 , 30-06 and 308 to the 6.5 C^^^^^^^r, I guess it rings true....... When it gets tough you'll be able to find ammo for them anywhere

View attachment 206912
Here in eastern Canada the shelves are stocked full of all cartridges. However, loading components are slim pickings.

But, that's the point. The newer cartridges shine because factory chamberings have set them up for success with the best bullets available today. Many of our old favorites, .277 and even .284, are not. The .277 is hampered by a 1:10 and most .284s are hampered by a 1:9.5 (or slower as we've seen in this thread). Set our old favorites up for success in the same way as the 6.5s or the 300PRCs and it's a different story. It's a shame that most manufacturers are not keeping up with the times for the old chamberings. Maybe someone like Bergara will step up and lead the way. I can't imagine Remington or Winchester doing it and Tikka is still hampering their big 30s with a 1:11. Christensen and others in this class don't count as they are out of the price range of most buyers.
It's really a pretty simple fix. Order a barrel and have it installed. If it's that important (and it was for me) simply order one and replace the factory with a faster twist replacement.

It's really a pretty simple fix. Order a barrel and have it installed. If it's that important (and it was for me) simply order one and replace the factory with a faster twist replacement.

True, but why not update offerings? I suppose there is a surplus of 1:10 .277 barrels manufacturers are working off of. Why not stop or slow production of those and introduce some 1:8s as a second offering? It's an annoyance and inconvenience if you want to shoot higher BC bullets right now, but it's also something that is easily corrected by either me (as you suggest) or even better the manufacturer.

True, but why not update offerings? I suppose there is a surplus of 1:10 .277 barrels manufacturers are working off of. Why not stop or slow production of those and introduce some 1:8s as a second offering? It's an annoyance and inconvenience if you want to shoot higher BC bullets right now, but it's also something that is easily corrected by either me (as you suggest) or even better the manufacturer.
Ya I get it, believe me. Preaching to the choir. I totally agree but it's been working this long and not many high BC bullets requiring a fast barrel so maybe that's why. I think when and if more high bc bullets are born, you'll see manufacturers build faster barrels. I build all my rifles today. This is exactly why. I have three .284s with 8.5 and 9 twist barrels. Ideal for the offering. If I only used them out to 5-600 yards, wouldn't matter. Shooting beyond 1K, long heavies are necessary. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 206912
It's a good point and worth considering, that's why I've got a gross Glock 23 stuck in the back of the safe. When times get really tough you whip out your 40 short and weak and your almost-a-3006, hopefully with a #vortexoptic, and there's plenty of ammo.

Not much marketing hype to be made over a cartridge that has been around for almost over a hundred years
I'd also look at it this way. Giving that better performance cartridges have been around for decades why bother.
As many have stated there's still a place for the 270Win. It's just not as "long range" gem as it was looked at 95 years ago. Times have changed in the LR shooting/hunting.

When I started out deer hunting I purchase a German Mauser 7.65 for about $25.00 mail order from Sear. A friend got a 6.5 x 55. I note them about how long the bullet was an is. Compared to my then 7.65 bullet. I felt then and now that the size and length that you could really do something with the 6.5. The 270, 30/06 were generally the go to rifle back then. The mag were coming on strong at that time. It's been fun to watch and talk about around the campfires or where ever. It seem like I am always having another rifle built for me. It seem to never stops with the changing ways and times. It's fun!
SSS
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.