So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

I think the best decision for a recreational shooter/hunter is to chose the faster twist for a cartridge. My meaning is, for a .308, use a 10 twist. For .223, use a 9 twist. 7mm, try the 9/10 whichever is available. All those barrels will pretty much shoot the mid to heavier for caliber bullets. Not the heaviest but typically those are specialty bullets for specific use. The faster twists above that I mentioned will stabilize the lighter bullets also. It gives a wider range of bullets to use rather than only light bullets having a slow twist barrel. My 22-250 with a 14 twist barrel shoots the 40 grain bullets extremely well. My 8 twist 22-250 AI shoots the same 40 grain bullet good but not quite as good. The 14 twist will not shoot a 69 SMK at all. Tumbles all the way to the target. The bullet selection is much narrower with slow twist barrels vs faster twist tubes.
It certainly is twist dependent. My Remington 700 .223Rem with 1:12 shoots 60gr Nos BT very well but 62Gr tumble like a weed.

It certainly is twist dependent. My Remington 700 .223Rem with 1:12 shoots 60gr Nos BT very well but 62Gr tumble like a weed.
The same 9 twist barrel would allow good stability from 40-69 grain bullets. The 12 twist is ideal tho for a specific bullet weight as is the 9. The 12 will shoot 40-60. I think my 9 shoots the 60-69 about the best. The 9 will shoot many more boat tail heavy bullets than the 12 will. To shoot a 60 grain bullet in a 12 twist, typically it's a flat base bullet or not a VLD base bullet anyway.

I looked it up as I wondered when the old almost forgotten 270 win came out.
(The .270 Winchester is a rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1923 and unveiled in 1925 as a chambering for their bolt-action Model 54. )
As some of us older folks get older I wonder if we too will some day be forgotten.
I keep at least 1 270 win around just so I don't forget our shooting roots and besides the 270 win has killed more animals than many others.
For competitive shooters I feel the good ole 270 win has and will become forgotten.
Old Rooster

I looked it up as I wondered when the old almost forgotten 270 win came out.
(The .270 Winchester is a rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1923 and unveiled in 1925 as a chambering for their bolt-action Model 54. )
As some of us older folks get older I wonder if we too will some day be forgotten.
I keep at least 1 270 win around just so I don't forget our shooting roots and besides the 270 win has killed more animals than many others.
For competitive shooters I feel the good ole 270 win has and will become forgotten.
Old Rooster
Certainly waiting till 2117 will give all the newcomer cartridges the same amount of time to earn a reputation. I highly doubt any of them will earn even close to the same reputation the .270 has over the last almost 100 years. Too many new replacements will arrive and too much competition these days in cartridge development. Way back in the early 1900s and even mid 1900s, cartridges weren't arriving every year. It took many years before new ones arrived. Today it only takes a few years for a new cartridge to be hailed king. The .270 took many more years. That's how much technology has changed.

One of my longest shot records was held by a 270 win model 70 classic stainless boss shooting 130 gr Winchester ballistic silver tips...701 yrds bang........thunk dead right there 200 plus lbs whitetail...insides were jelly no exit...total energy dump... I'm kinda thinking a fast twist 270 might be sweet too?
Sounds like you don't need it !

I am a 280 remington nut,but i have owned two 270 a remington 721 a very accurate and reliable gun mule deer getter and plesent to shoot. an a weatherby vangard syn it shoots sub moa all the time. usein faster twist and hevyer bullets with 30 " bull barrels is not for me but it woud produce avery long ranger.

Kinda stinks that the 280 Remington can stabilize a 162-168 grain ELD or Berger with a 10 twist barrel but the .270 needs a 9 to stabilize the same weight bullets. Just doesn't seem right.

Kinda stinks that the 280 Remington can stabilize a 162-168 grain ELD or Berger with a 10 twist barrel but the .270 needs a 9 to stabilize the same weight bullets. Just doesn't seem right.
This whole idea of the 270Win having both the ability to shoot heavier pills and faster; kinda reminds me of the Ford ecoboost engine debate... essentially you can't have both at the same time with the current configuration. You either get the fuel economy or the fuel sucking boost🙃

This whole idea of the 270Win having both the ability to shoot heavier pills and faster; kinda reminds me of the Ford ecoboost engine debate... essentially you can't have both at the same time with the current configuration. You either get the fuel economy or the fuel sucking boost🙃
Yep then add towing to the formula. Thing is, the 280 running a 10 twist gets a little of the best of both worlds as dies my .284 with a 10 twist.

I think Remingtons is 9.125 or 9.250. Not sure about Ruger. I think some 10 twist barrels may have been offered in Browning rifles at some point. Not positive tho. Browning's new bolt guns are 9.5

OK, so how many of you would have thought 23 pages and 320 postings when I suggested this topic? Not me for sure and glad I did, this is one cool thread to read.
The .270 win is a classic. That's undisputable. Whether it gets bigger than it's history is yet to be seen. Doesn't really matter because it's certainly filled as many a hunters tags as any cartridge out there. Any company that offers a faster barrel will bring some ammo manufacturers forward offering a few heavier low drag bullet options. I'm not expecting alot but a few extras will give the .270 win some new founded life.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.