So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

long rangers 264 win mag- 7mmremington mag - 300 win mag already proven for over 50 years.
the 300 mag with the serria bullet made for the snipers will put the short mags and anything built on a 308 win case to shame. yes the 270 win mag is in this line up too. will it catchup to the 6.5 cm, the question is will the 6.5 cm last 5 years.

22 pages and going. I love my 270 but the bullet selection just ain't there yet. However to 170 grain Berger is starting to make .277 a sign of hope. Hopefully there will be better .277 bullets in the future but I don't think longrangehunting has enough bandwidth to cover it. 😁

Nope, the 150 isn't considered a heavy 270 bullet. It's about the longest bullet that will shoot in the 10 twist barrels. I shoot the 150s in my .270 or should say I have. It shot fine but from a 22" barrel and shots only around 75-225 yards, the 130s are a better option. Right now it's the 170 Berger that needs a faster barrel. Not sure about Noslers LR accubonds. Never put them thru the twist calculator. I have no doubt the 150 if it has a BC of .518 and it's a " true bc" would be a good LR bullet. Guess you'd have to do the drop data and see if those numbers are accurate.
If there ever was a "True BC" to trust it be Berger's. Their one of the few that actually provides both G1 and G7 BC.
Another interesting thing that's in Berger's manual is the published 270win twist rates. First time I've seen a 1:11 twist rate published for a 110gr projectile. Why would they do this if the standard conventional 270win twist has been 1:10. This was the reasoning for my question WRT 270 WN Twist always having been 1:10. If it's always been 1:10 why state a slower rate that doesn't exist. Am I missing something or have this *** backwards?

Appreciate the expert review - but the Deer will be just as dead. :)
Thanks for reply! Being an old timer, and a newbie to the forum, sort of left out a bit. Yes it was 130gr. Had used up all my 140gr Hornady SpBT rds for my son's ammo. All I had left was 130s. Initial was to simulate 6.5CM but being anal, I went for accuracy after a couple hundred rounds. I was so fascinated that the old group of .85" with our family load was tightened to .25 and less that I got fixated at best MOA. Didn't mean to mislead ya. Just the way the The Old Hunter's mind works or doesn't. As for the 140gr load I worked up for the old 270 Weatherby I gave my son, it pushing chrono'd at about 2897 FPS & <.4 MOA. a load I worked up in the 90's for New Mexico mule deer hunting. My son nailed his biggest buck at a little over 300 yrds, slightly quartering, and about 30 degrees uphill. The 140gr did the trick and blood painted everywhere! Only 2 steps and met the ground. Upon inspection after field dressing, it looked like a 1" knife entry and a nickel exit. That was a great load for his Weatherby and still uses it to this day. He figured that if not broken don't try to fix it!

At 70 plus years and 60+ of them reloading, I wonderful memories of the fun of reloading, shooting and hunting! GOD has been good to me!
Thank you again for reading.

If there ever was a "True BC" to trust it be Berger's. Their one of the few that actually provides both G1 and G7 BC.
Another interesting thing that's in Berger's manual is the published 270win twist rates. First time I've seen a 1:11 twist rate published for a 110gr projectile. Why would they do this if the standard conventional 270win twist has been 1:10. This was the reasoning for my question WRT 270 WN Twist always having been 1:10. If it's always been 1:10 why state a slower rate that doesn't exist. Am I missing something or have this *** backwards?
My guess is because Berger is giving the ideal ( based on their own twist calculator) twist rate for the bullet weight they offer. Most shooters that shoot Palma, don't just shoot what rifle manufacturers offer, they order the twist rate that best fits the 155 bullet. Let's say it's a 13 twist. No rifle maker makes a .30 caliber 13 twist barrel either. This is only my opinion. My guess is since Berger makes probably the most popular competition bullets, they also recommend which exact twist rate gives the best performance for that exact bullet.

That's the minimum twist required for the 110gr bullet

22 pages and going. I love my 270 but the bullet selection just ain't there yet. However to 170 grain Berger is starting to make .277 a sign of hope. Hopefully there will be better .277 bullets in the future but I don't think longrangehunting has enough bandwidth to cover it. 😁
Nice Segway (sort of)
this New 270 Overwatch by savage arms has a nice long mag. length (will except 3.4775") and by my crude dummy round measuring; a healthy throat length as well (3.3975") So is this new? Are longer/heavier (higher BCs) pills are on the way?
My guess is because Berger is giving the ideal ( based on their own twist calculator) twist rate for the bullet weight they offer. Most shooters that shoot Palma, don't just shoot what rifle manufacturers offer, they order the twist rate that best fits the 155 bullet. Let's say it's a 13 twist. No rifle maker makes a .30 caliber 13 twist barrel either. This is only my opinion. My guess is since Berger makes probably the most popular competition bullets, they also recommend which exact twist rate gives the best performance for that exact bullet.
that makes sense. I never really thought of it like that. Around these parts if someone finds a great shooting projectile and they decide to rebarrel say to a bull barrel they almost always stay with that twist. FWIW 6mm and or 30 cal is what folks generally shoot in bench Rest competition at our regional clubs. That's for another discussion.

Last edited:
Yeah I seen that. that's why I questioned it; seeing that 1:10 is the standard. What VLD..... stated make the most sense. I don't have the money or desire to go to the minimum twist for any rifle. really just the opposite.
I think the best decision for a recreational shooter/hunter is to chose the faster twist for a cartridge. My meaning is, for a .308, use a 10 twist. For .223, use a 9 twist. 7mm, try the 9/10 whichever is available. All those barrels will pretty much shoot the mid to heavier for caliber bullets. Not the heaviest but typically those are specialty bullets for specific use. The faster twists above that I mentioned will stabilize the lighter bullets also. It gives a wider range of bullets to use rather than only light bullets having a slow twist barrel. My 22-250 with a 14 twist barrel shoots the 40 grain bullets extremely well. My 8 twist 22-250 AI shoots the same 40 grain bullet good but not quite as good. The 14 twist will not shoot a 69 SMK at all. Tumbles all the way to the target. The bullet selection is much narrower with slow twist barrels vs faster twist tubes.

Wow... 22 pages and we are still debating about how the 270 will not supplant the CM and PRC, at least in the hunting world, and we'll likely see more of an intrusion of the CM and PRC into the hunting community.

Wow... 22 pages and we are still debating about how the 270 will not supplant the CM and PRC, at least in the hunting world, and we'll likely see more of an intrusion of the CM and PRC into the hunting community.
It's a good thing. Supporting all things guns always goes in the right direction. Just glad it's fairly constructive talk. One thing for sure is, in the hunting shooting community, there is great communication and gathering for what's next or new in the shooting world.

*In proprietary non-reloadable bi-metalic unobtanium cartridge cases loaded 80-90k PSI with probably propriertary/unobtainable powder in factory ammo that will be scarce at best and probably make 338 Lapua and other sound cost effective.... yeah sign me up.

In normal brass cases with normal components its a shorter less efficient lower BC 6.5 Creedmoor. Same goes for the 27 Nosler.

You want to get into a discussion about marketing hype... you picked the right cartridge to get excited about /sarc

Anyone want to take bets on when common people will actually get their hands on one of these chambered in .277 Fury? (Im not talking about industry people/shills/influencers/gunbunnies here...) Ask anyone who was promised caliber exchange kits for the MCX how good Sig is at fullfilling promises made when new products were launched. My guess is there will be enough demand for the 308 and 6.5 versions to keep these backordered for a year or two without ever having to launch the .277 version.

All that aside... I really dont get the obsession with 6.8mm/.277 bores, the ballistic form factor of these rounds is inherently less efficient than either the 7mm or 6.5mm above and below it. Your selection of bona fide high BC match/hunting projectiles is a fraction of what it is for others. So you have to drive it to higher speeds to get similar/better performance. Just look at example someone posted a few pages ago... using same weight/construction bullets the Creedmoor catches and passes the 270win at around 500-600yds even though it starts almost 300fps slower. This is a long range hunting forum, so that's a meaningful and valid example. To put that velcoity difference in perspective thats like comparing relative velocity of a 308win to a 300Win mag.

People can show data and real world examples till they are blue in the face and it makes no difference to the cult of O'Connor... which is fine. It's already hard enough to find 143gr ELD-X's right now.

The 6.5 is not inherently superior to the. 277. That is not an accurate statement. It actually has more potential. It's simply lacking development. Ballisticly the larger the caliber the more potential bc you have. (in bullet weights that can reasonably be produced and fired)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.