So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

Interesting discussions but here are a couple data points to ponder going forward. For giggles, I ran my 24" data through Hornady ballistic calculator using G7 0.298 for the Nosler 150 ABLR and the results were a bit interesting. Used very basic parameters at 1,000 ft elevation so don't get your shorts in a wad. I also used 10,000 ft as another calculation since it seems most of my elk hunts are at 10,000 ft and the results were even more interesting. Again don't get your shorts in a wad. These are just basic parameters I use to compare bullets on consistent data points that I prefer. Alliant also shows the data to be within their load specs so this is not a close eyes and hope it holds the load either. At max load, I do not show any kind of pressure whatsoever so I may inch up a bit to see where I start to see it. The load data is for a 150 gr Partition so the 150 ABLR may provide a little more leeway. In fact, I willing to bet in a longer 26" or longer barrel with RL26 to cook some more, it should reach 3150 fps or more. There is more opportunity here than most realize if you build the right rifle. Berger 170 EOL looks really interesting and the new Nosler 165 ABLR also has promise. So let's all agree the .270 Win doesn't have the trajectory of a 45-70😂. Its actually quite comparable to the 6.5 PRC but with all the points of discussion ( low recoil, brass CHEAP, brass neck is wonderful for longer higher BC bullets) in original thread. I have talked to Savage about a High Country .270 build and they indicated it is possible for custom which I may consider instead of my own. The real question will be COAL magazine capability for the heavier higher BC bullets.

I have to say this is one of the nicest threads I have read on LRH without too many off track or even gnarly comments that only OLD shooters like the .270Win :eek: so I want to thank everyone for being thoughtful and great technical comments.
100% fact. Again, too bad only one or two potential bullets available for the .277 for LR hunting. Elevation is the number one thing to increase a cartridges potential and stabilize an otherwise non-stable bullet at lower elevations. At those high elevations, the other favorite 6.5/7s also shine brighter in the same above treeline elevations.

Starlite: VLD is 100% correct! See link below and it will give all specs.
Axis II Overwatch
I don't see the link but that's fine. I'll get my own data when I get back off vacation. I certainly have the equipment and range to capture this data. Was simply looking for information from a group of folks whom I assumed have experience(s) loading and shootInf the 270; rather then me plugging information into an app.

😆No offence, but not a chance in hell: .270 bore is a bore size but as a hunting cartridge! , It is no equal or better match as a LR round and just to compete even closely or equal the 6.5, 7mm & .30 cal. bores, BC & SD's performances you would have to use bullets equally or heavier then the heaviest available for 7mm, which would put your cartridge on a .45-70/.308 Win. rainbow trajectory at those ranges, no matter how big the case volume or how long your brl is! Granted: the 6.5 bore is ideally maxed out with the 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5x55AI and most definitely with the new 6.5GAP or the new 6.5PRC case, which is still too new to tell the full story! Forget about the .270 Nosler or SIG's 6.8 Fury: unless we get free access to these new SIG powders, which would change the whole ballistics scenario for all calibers: anything bigger in case volume is just resulting in torched brl's throats & bores in a very short timespan, without gaining worthwhile velocity increases or ft/lbs and the equal lessons should be drawn for the .270 bore, where a .270Win. or at best a .270WSM case are the abosolute max! Just my 2 cents worth of 45 yrs as a gunmaker!

Sorry, but I do not think the math checks out here. 277 bullets with equal or higher weights to 7mm bullets will have higher bcs than the larger diameter bullet. Of course assuming similar form factors.

I am sure you know this as it sounds like you've been around this game much longer than me, but some less experienced people seem to think that certain calibers have magical ballistic properties just bc they have had more development and support. In reality the larger the caliber the higher the potential bc, but that always comes at a higher weight.

I don't see the link but that's fine. I'll get my own data when I get back off vacation. I certainly have the equipment and range to capture this data. Was simply looking for information from a group of folks whom I assumed have experience(s) loading and shootInf the 270; rather then me plugging information into an app.
From the Savage website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-105105.png
    Screenshot_20200728-105105.png
    39 KB · Views: 170
I've been making plastic and rubber part manufacturing molds for a decade. Nitriding is a tremendously durable steel treatment. Go .005" deep, low temp so don't have to worry about dimensional stability after you've already made very precise cuts.
My understanding of the process is that it will alter the original heat treatment of the barrel.

VLD & Muddyboots:
with all due respect I can read and have read all the specs on the Overwatch and many other sites. maybe my question was poorly articulated.
I also started a thread WRT This Rifle. Unfortunately websites have provided improper information WRT it's capabilities. Good intentioned folks on the forum have provided some basic information and others have answered specific questions (in other thread) that I had.
Anyhow, I have nor had intensionally Wanted to derail this thread. Simply was looking for relevant information WRT my 270. Again apologies to the OP.

VLD & Muddyboots:
with all due respect I can read and have read all the specs on the Overwatch and many other sites. maybe my question was poorly articulated.
I also started a thread WRT This Rifle. Unfortunately websites have provided improper information WRT it's capabilities. Good intentioned folks on the forum have provided some basic information and others have answered specific questions (in other thread) that I had.
Anyhow, I have nor had intensionally Wanted to derail this thread. Simply was looking for relevant information WRT my 270. Again apologies to the OP.
While I understand your desire to get factual info on the Savage Axis II Overwatch, I have provided it. Not only in the form of the Savage website but by the fact of speaking to Savage regarding the Savage Axis II Overwatch and Axis Precision, Savage makes ONLY a 10 twist offering in the .270 caliber. Hope this info makes you more of a believer as I have no reason to produce incorrect information. I'm only trying to address and answer your question. Sorry for the off topic information and I'll carry on to the OPs original Post. John

if a rifle does not have recoil then it don,t have energy. thus the creedmore is lacking killing energy. . The real 6.5 is the 264 win and it will be here when the creedmore is dead and gone.. and the 270 win will be here and been here for 85 years. creedmore is like a 4 cylinder engine in a corvet and the 270 is like a 350 v-8 and the 264 is like a 454 in the vet.. now you know. who will win the race.ha ha

if a rifle does not have recoil then it don,t have energy. thus the creedmore is lacking killing energy. . The real 6.5 is the 264 win and it will be here when the creedmore is dead and gone.. and the 270 win will be here and been here for 85 years. creedmore is like a 4 cylinder engine in a corvet and the 270 is like a 350 v-8 and the 264 is like a 454 in the vet.. now you know. who will win the race.ha ha
I love them all. I own many of the 6.5s and they all kill the same. Same with the 6.8s and 7s. All kill very well if the Gunner does his job. I will say it's refreshing sitting behind a mild 6.5 rather than a mule. Especially when that rifle can out them in a dime size group.

While I understand your desire to get factual info on the Savage Axis II Overwatch, I have provided it. Not only in the form of the Savage website but by the fact of speaking to Savage regarding the Savage Axis II Overwatch and Axis Precision, Savage makes ONLY a 10 twist offering in the .270 caliber. Hope this info makes you more of a believer as I have no reason to produce incorrect information. I'm only trying to address and answer your question. Sorry for the off topic information and I'll carry on to the OPs original Post. John
Thankx John. I wasn't disbelieving your answer "10". I too had read that on their website but they do make mistakes. I don't believe everything that I read on the internet.
perhaps I should have been more specific and asked someone to measure the twist. Again there were conflicting reports. Now that you've confirmed this with savage I'll leave it at that. Thankx for your assistance. Much appreciate that.
signing off this thread😐

Not if it's a 277 Fury !
Everything I've researched and read about the Fury is pretty impressive, perfromance wise, especially from a 16" barrel. Pushing a 140 grain pill 3000 fps from a .308 size case is identical performance from a 6.5-284 with a 24" barrel. Pressures will be pretty high to make that happen. That means roughly 3300 fps from a 26" barrel. Not too shabby. Not really liking the looks of the case tho. My meaning for that is I'm sure it's gonna be costly. The stainless steel lower base band used for strength due to higher pressures will likely make this brass expensive. I think the .277 Fury will be a "Fad" cartridge. Sig will more than likely build a rifle for their ammo as well. Moving on to the 270 Nosler with a fast twist barrel built by Nosler, will be the .277 cartridge that, if any catches on, it'll be this one. More consumers that want a factory rather than custom rifle have a outlet for purchase as well as the factory 165 Nosler LR bullet option. I still believe both will be less popular than other current LR options but time will tell. It's gonna get new life for sure but what's gonna be the life expectancy, who knows.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.