So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

So what do we have? A Long action, 26"+ barrels, faster twist barrels, high BC heavy bullets, low recoil, brass CHEAP, brass neck is wonderful for longer higher BC bullets, RL26 pixie dust, every manufacturer has a .270 in current configuration of 1:10 BUT with advent of the higher BC bullets, heavier and need for faster twist barrels, is this the next NEW caliber to win over everybody?

Heck, my 24" sporter barrel is shooting 150 ABLR at 3075 fps with RL26 with absolutely no pressure so what will a 26"+ do with faster twist for heavier higher BC bullets? Recoil is actually pleasant and can shoot all day for probably anyone. The downrange ballistics are pretty darn good with the higher velocity, higher BC, heavier bullets that the .270 Win can actually do with faster twist and RL26 pixie dust.

So what do you think? Does the old girl have a chance? I do. Then again, Hornady has not branded it as a CM or PRC so probably no chance:eek: at all.

This is my next build!;)👍
270 Win is the bread winner in my book for hunting over all CM or PRC. CM and PRC are great but the 270 win is a fantastic round!

When I think about cartridges I think about application. I don't see the 277s as target rounds so that means hunting.

For deer sized game I'd probably shoot the lighter faster bullets in a 270 win vs the 170s, but that gives no real advantage over a 25-06 or most of the 6.5s with more recoil.

For elk sized game I'd go 7mm with 180s-195s. I think the 270 could step up more in this range but I'd go 270 wsm to push the 170s faster.

Nothing wrong with the stock 270, it just shines more in the wsm version.

Years ago a 243, 270 and 30-06 would be considered fully equipped for anything. If you add in the multitude of purpose designed bullets now available, that is probably more true than ever. There is a reason those 3 calibers are still around and still being used a lot especially for hunting. The reason is they work very well. A lot of cartridges available today will do a lot of things pretty well, just like the "oldtimers". What is available to us as shooters today as a result of technology and general progress in understanding and using ballistics information is a plethora of choices in cartridges and bullets designed to do a specific task better than almost any other cartridge/bullet combination can. But if you just want one rifle that can "do it all", the 243, 270 or 30-06 will serve you well, as will about 50 other cartridge chamberings. As far as Bambi is concerned, dead is dead and you can't get any deader. As far as target shooting is concerned, a quarter sized group of holes in a paper is a quarter sized group whether made by 50gr bullets or 250gr bullets. So I just get as many different rifles as I can and try to spend more time shooting and less time overthinking it. 🤔😂

Personally I think it's seen its peak in popularity way back when as a hunting cartridge. It's still a very popular cartridge for hunting. The .284 started out in 1963 as a hunting cartridge as well. Developed to shoot in a 2.8" magazine from an autoloader then a lever gun. Look where that cartridge is at today. I can't say just because they started out as one thing, they'll never make it to the next level. The .270 today as a LR cartridge is just a bit too late as too many others have filled that niche. The Creedmoor's and PRCs aren't just cartridges. They also had the caliber going for them as well. The 6.5 and .30 caliber both have phenomenal bullet options. If anything, I could see Hornady introducing a new 7mm cartridge close to the PRCs.
I'm surprised that hornady hasn't done anything with the 7mm. The 22 creedmoor is a round that's there for the taking if they wanted to capitalize on it. With 85-90gr bullets, a fellow can deer and varmint hunt without even needing to swap bullets.

While I used, and very much liked the .270 Win/270WSM for medium game hunting for decades, I adopted the 6.5x284 about a dozen years ago. An optimized rifle and high BC bullet nearly doubled the effective range for medium game. In recent years the wave of "high BC/heavy for caliber" cartridges in 6.5 has expanded to the point of numbness and fatigue. It's hard to imagine that the rather subtle extension to 284 cal stands much of a chance of capturing a meaningful market share gain without some kind of technology advance, or disruptive new approach, I think Sig is attempting this with the Fury. The success and adoption by the masses of their approach while very interesting, remains to be seen. I don't think revitalization of the 270 Win by simply adding new bullets and optimizing the rifles twist rate eill result in any material share increase. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.