So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

Chuckle ! I guess all the experts have missed the 277 Fury. As my gunsafe cleanout continues I'm building a fund to build one. 3100 on a 16" bbl ---- imagine one in 26".....

Most people don't realize how deadly a 25-06 is on deer size game
No argument from me on that, I shot deer with one for 20+ yrs. With the information super highway available to us today, most want newer case designs, it is way easier today to pump up info on something.

Well amigo I just got my ole M&77 ruger back from Mcgowen with a 24 inch barrel shooting the 170 grain Berger ..
I am using Ramshot magnum and getting 2950 with the 170 grainer.. I have always loved the 270, it was my first rifle and now that the 170 is here, I feel it could have a chance.. It carries good knockdown out to 1000 with the 170 ..
You are right that it hasn't been pushed by Hornady but, who cares.. I have had a ball shooting it with a 1:8 twist and it really extended the hunting range for the ole 270.. Don't you know 270 lives matter?? :D

Nosler has announced 165 grain ABLR in .277 with BC of .620 not a lot of difference between it and the 142 grain 6.5 at .625 minimum twist rate required is 1 in 8.5. Reloder 26 makes the 270 sing.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
I put no faith in Noslers BC numbers. Especially in their ABLR line which are know for being grossly inflated. Maybe theyve fixed it. Either way it's good to see another option for the 270 crowd

The 270 caliber has put a many animal in the grave. Go to any Ma And Pa shop and the ammo will be on the shelf. The 6.5's were not selling in the USA 20 years ago. Only the swede was selling. I think every cartridge case today a 6.5 bullet has been stuffed into it. Today star and maybe a gleamer in the years to come.

I think its hilarious that folks want to reduce recoil after they deliberately bought a short action to save a few ounces of recoil-countering weight. So, then they install a brake at the opposite end of the fulcrum:lever relationship and act like they've made some kind of improvement with their short action. 🤣. IMO, in similar BC projectiles, the 270 Win is a win over its caliber competitors. Just like the venerable 30-06 has begun to regain its former glory with the advent of modern powders, bullets, and magnum primers, the 270 is poised to do likewise.
Folks who dont learn from history keep falling over the same stumbling blocks. This is true in every aspect of life.

Thats enough Sat am philosophy waxin for me... 🧐

Last edited:
The 270 win was here way before the creedmor and in my opinion will be here long after the creed popularity fades away I believe it is one of the best deer calibers out there with a 150 they are great a faster twist barrel and a 170 would just make them a little better I also like the 270 weatherby but the win. still has my vote
The 270 win was here way before the creedmor and in my opinion will be here long after the creed popularity fades away I believe it is one of the best deer calibers out there with a 150 they are great a faster twist barrel and a 170 would just make them a little better I also like the 270 weatherby but the win. still has my vote

What niche does the 270 fill for just shooters as a long range cartridge?

for 1k yard target shooting the extra recoil and powder capacity isn't needed and for general hobby guys is match ammo going to be offered cheaper than for creeds and 308?

What disciplines are trending toward larger cartridges right now? Not prs for sure they are looking for stuff with less recoil than a dasher at this point, f class is running 284 wins already over long action cartridges of the same caliber I doubt they go to a pure long action cartridge but I guess maybe, for 1k yard hunting it's energy numbers are mediocre compared to a slightly larger magnum,

that's not to say it's bad at all, but it seems to fall into a no mans land on niche for anything other than a good all around hunting cartridge, a fantastic longish range deer cartridge for sure..... but I don't see that selling enough to dethrone those cartridges in sales. Maybe the hipster old school trend will have young people reading jack o Conner and buying 270 win model 70s. That would be cool!

You could describe every cartridge between 6 dasher and 300 RUM that way

My meaning for the niche has been filled was exactly because it's been filled by the CMs and 260s, 6.5-284s, 284s etc. Again I know some die hards that own and have owned a 270 for many years want to make it work for the 1000 yard line and it does work. It's just not nearly as efficient nor as popular as the current trend of 1000 yard cartridges. I've owned one for 40 years and killed many of whitetails with it. My range use is 300 yards max as it's a semi auto and not an MOA rifle.

Explain efficiency. In my opinion this is a buzzword and as such is a pet peeve of mine.

If you want a LR long action standard bolt face your picking a 280AI over the 270. Ammo is more readily available for the 270 but not the LR variety we are hanging a 270 rebirth on

A 270 was my first centerfire but there are different and better options

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.