So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

Muddyboots

So what do we have? A Long action, 26"+ barrels, faster twist barrels, high BC heavy bullets, low recoil, brass CHEAP, brass neck is wonderful for longer higher BC bullets, RL26 pixie dust, every manufacturer has a .270 in current configuration of 1:10 BUT with advent of the higher BC bullets, heavier and need for faster twist barrels, is this the next NEW caliber to win over everybody?

Heck, my 24" sporter barrel is shooting 150 ABLR at 3075 fps with RL26 with absolutely no pressure so what will a 26"+ do with faster twist for heavier higher BC bullets? Recoil is actually pleasant and can shoot all day for probably anyone. The downrange ballistics are pretty darn good with the higher velocity, higher BC, heavier bullets that the .270 Win can actually do with faster twist and RL26 pixie dust.

So what do you think? Does the old girl have a chance? I do. Then again, Hornady has not branded it as a CM or PRC so probably no chance:eek: at all.

This is my next build!;)👍

So what do we have? A Long action, 26"+ barrels, faster twist barrels, high BC heavy bullets, low recoil, brass CHEAP, brass neck is wonderful for longer higher BC bullets, RL26 pixie dust, every manufacturer has a .270 in current configuration of 1:10 BUT with advent of the higher BC bullets, heavier and need for faster twist barrels, is this the next NEW caliber to win over everybody?

Heck, my 24" sporter barrel is shooting 150 ABLR at 3075 fps with RL26 with absolutely no pressure so what will a 26"+ do with faster twist for heavier higher BC bullets? Recoil is actually pleasant and can shoot all day for probably anyone. The downrange ballistics are pretty darn good with the higher velocity, higher BC, heavier bullets that the .270 Win can actually do with faster twist and RL26 pixie dust.

So what do you think? Does the old girl have a chance? I do. Then again, Hornady has not branded it as a CM or PRC so probably no chance:eek: at all.

This is my next build!;)👍
Very doubtful that the .270 in any cartridge configuration will pull ahead of any of the 6.5/7 or .30s. There's a little following but Hornady IMO will not jump aboard and see a future for the .277. Berger offers a good heavy bullet but I don't see any headway in putting that caliber in the LR game as far as from the sales end. I have buddy's that love the .270 and shoot Berger 170s with fast twist barrels. They hold there own IMO against some of my .284 set ups depending on bullets used and performance of the cartridge. I love my .270 win as it's on top for my deer hunting rifle choice.

Very doubtful that the .270 in any cartridge configuration will pull ahead of any of the 6.5/7 or .30s. There's a little following but Hornady IMO will not jump aboard and see a future for the .277. Berger offers a good heavy bullet but I don't see any headway in putting that caliber in the LR game as far as from the sales end. I have buddy's that love the .270 and shoot Berger 170s with fast twist barrels. They hold there own IMO against some of my .284 set ups depending on bullets used and performance of the cartridge. I love my .270 win as it's on top for my deer hunting rifle choice.
If you are speaking specifically for hunting, you may be right. 3 yrs ago, we never thought there would be a 25cal resurgence, but the Ace Blackjack 131 injected life back into that caliber.

If you are speaking specifically for hunting, you may be right. 3 yrs ago, we never thought there would be a 25cal resurgence, but the Ace Blackjack 131 injected life back into that caliber.
It's only my opinion. I'm all for every caliber offering high bc bullets for LR shooting but the truth of the matter is that with the 6.5/7/7.62/.338 offering so many excellent bullets for the LR/ELR game, I don't see any company dumping time and cost into the .277. I'd love to be wrong and see it happen. Just gives me a reason to build a LR .270

While the 270 is a good cartridge, I'm doubting you'll ever see it gain popularity like the 6.5s, 7s, or 30s. Berger is pretty much the only one that makes a high BC .277 bullet that can compete with modern day 6.5mm cartridges. It has a good following in the average Joe hunting crowd but in long range the market is dominated by big 30s and also the 6.5s.

The nice thing about .270WIN is that is has many of the characteristics anyone could look for and does so without any of the headaches typically associated with those same things.
1. You can get nearly any bolt gun you can find in a gun rack today off the shelf chambered in it.
2. It's a flat shooter so for hunting situations it has a generous max PBR
3. Ammo is as easy to find as the guns chambered in it, if a place sells ammo they've probably got a box in pinch
4. Relatively low recoil
5. Good barrel life

It would be great if bullet and barrel makers got together and agreed to each do their part but like others, I just don't see it happening. I do agree that it has potential. I say all this as a .270 owner and I too hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
It's a hunting cartridge, and as such will never overtake the CM in popularity. There are more shooters than most hunters realize, and they have little interest in standard bolt face long actions.

I'm all for it being improved and supported with better bullets and barrels, but no I don't think it will ever overtake the CM. In current sales(I'm sure it has a huge backlog of previously sold rifles to lay back on) Though I'm not sure it's even behind the 6.5PRC at this point, as that cartridge is trending towards a hunting cartridge as well.

It's a hunting cartridge, and as such will never overtake the CM in popularity. There are more shooters than most hunters realize, and they have little interest in standard bolt face long actions.

I'm all for it being improved and supported with better bullets and barrels, but no I don't think it will ever overtake the CM. In current sales(I'm sure it has a huge backlog of previously sold rifles to lay back on) Though I'm not sure it's even behind the 6.5PRC at this point, as that cartridge is trending towards a hunting cartridge as well.
Personally I think it's seen its peak in popularity way back when as a hunting cartridge. It's still a very popular cartridge for hunting. The .284 started out in 1963 as a hunting cartridge as well. Developed to shoot in a 2.8" magazine from an autoloader then a lever gun. Look where that cartridge is at today. I can't say just because they started out as one thing, they'll never make it to the next level. The .270 today as a LR cartridge is just a bit too late as too many others have filled that niche. The Creedmoor's and PRCs aren't just cartridges. They also had the caliber going for them as well. The 6.5 and .30 caliber both have phenomenal bullet options. If anything, I could see Hornady introducing a new 7mm cartridge close to the PRCs.

VLD: Totally agree on 7's or 30's but that wasn't the premise. When you look at the .277 BC, bullet weight and potential velocity, the 1,000 yard performance is as good or better than 6.5 CM or even 6.5 PRC. But now you have heavier bullet for game, CHEAP brass, common actions across so many more platforms, familiarity with a caliber that virtually everyone at one time has touched it. The whole premise of the 6.5 is the huge BC for bullet weight etc but now the .277 has same capability with even heavier bullets. Nosler new 165 ABLR has a G1 BC of 0.620 G7 - 0.312, the 150 ABLR is G1 0.591 G7-0.298 which really gets them downrange (if the BC's map out as projected). The Berger 170 Grain Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) Elite Hunter is at G1 - 0.662 and G7 - 0.339 so there are bullets now that can be extremely effective long range in the .270 with the right rifle build which is no different when talking about the 6.5's.

Lastly, here is the last popcorn statement: much better on elk than a 6.5CM!:eek: BLASPHEMY!

Personally I think it's seen its peak in popularity way back when as a hunting cartridge. It's still a very popular cartridge for hunting. The .284 started out in 1963 as a hunting cartridge as well. Developed to shoot in a 2.8" magazine from an autoloader then a lever gun. Look where that cartridge is at today. I can't say just because they started out as one thing, they'll never make it to the next level. The .270 today as a LR cartridge is just a bit too late as too many others have filled that niche. The Creedmoor's and PRCs aren't just cartridges. They also had the caliber going for them as well. The 6.5 and .30 caliber both have phenomenal bullet options. If anything, I could see Hornady introducing a new 7mm cartridge close to the PRCs.
What niche does the 270 fill for just shooters as a long range cartridge?

for 1k yard target shooting the extra recoil and powder capacity isn't needed and for general hobby guys is match ammo going to be offered cheaper than for creeds and 308?

What disciplines are trending toward larger cartridges right now? Not prs for sure they are looking for stuff with less recoil than a dasher at this point, f class is running 284 wins already over long action cartridges of the same caliber I doubt they go to a pure long action cartridge but I guess maybe, for 1k yard hunting it's energy numbers are mediocre compared to a slightly larger magnum,

that's not to say it's bad at all, but it seems to fall into a no mans land on niche for anything other than a good all around hunting cartridge, a fantastic longish range deer cartridge for sure..... but I don't see that selling enough to dethrone those cartridges in sales. Maybe the hipster old school trend will have young people reading jack o Conner and buying 270 win model 70s. That would be cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

for 1k yard target shooting the extra recoil and powder capacity isn't needed and for general hobby guys is match ammo going to be offered cheaper than for creeds and 308?

What disciplines are trending toward larger cartridges right now? Not prs for sure they are looking for stuff with less recoil than a dasher at this point, f class is running 284 wins already over long action cartridges of the same caliber I doubt they go to a pure long action cartridge but I guess maybe, for 1k yard hunting it's energy numbers are mediocre compared to a slightly larger magnum,

that's not to say it's bad at all, but it seems to fall into a no mans land on niche for anything other than a good all around hunting cartridge, a fantastic longish range deer cartridge for sure..... but I don't see that selling enough to dethrone those cartridges in sales. Maybe the hipster old school trend will have young people reading jack o Conner and buying 270 win model 70s. That would be cool!
My meaning for the niche has been filled was exactly because it's been filled by the CMs and 260s, 6.5-284s, 284s etc. Again I know some die hards that own and have owned a 270 for many years want to make it work for the 1000 yard line and it does work. It's just not nearly as efficient nor as popular as the current trend of 1000 yard cartridges. I've owned one for 40 years and killed many of whitetails with it. My range use is 300 yards max as it's a semi auto and not an MOA rifle.

So now your saying I'm old ????? and I was just starting to like you ;)

The 270 win was here way before the creedmor and in my opinion will be here long after the creed popularity fades away I believe it is one of the best deer calibers out there with a 150 they are great a faster twist barrel and a 170 would just make them a little better I also like the 270 weatherby but the win. still has my vote

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.