So Will the .270 Win Overtake the CM's and PRC's?

I have said this many times before. More than people disliking to CM, I think they dislike the Hype around it and the unreasonable expectations that that has sewn in the ill informed.
I have to agree with you on this one the 6.5 creed is a fine round but its nothing new there were plenty fine 6.5 cartridges decades before the creed showed up they just did not have the sporty name

Negative ghost rider. The only guy who ever liked the .270 has been dead for 42 years.

You are correct, there was only one guy that liked the 270, he and minions of us love it and grew up with the 270, killed literally everything with it, including a boxcar full of elk and deer, then lost our mind and turned to magnums. Still have my old pre-64 but it is rather heavy for a 77yr old guy like me. A few years ago I purchased a Remington 700 mountain, wood stock, in 270, and recently purchased a Tikka 3x, wood, in 270. All three shoot under 1moa.

You are correct, there was only one guy that liked the 270, he and minions of us love it and grew up with the 270, killed literally everything with it, including a boxcar full of elk and deer, then lost our mind and turned to magnums. Still have my old pre-64 but it is rather heavy for a 77yr old guy like me. A few years ago I purchased a Remington 700 mountain, wood stock, in 270, and recently purchased a Tikka 3x, wood, in 270. All three shoot under 1moa.

everyone is losing their minds again and going from magnums to short actions!! Lol

Because people try to shoot animals to far away over 500 yds when energy drops below 1500
I've killed many deer and pigs with my 10mm. Muzzle speed 1380 with 220 bullets. Energy at muzzle 800 ft lbs. At 50 yards, less than that. Kills them easily. The Ft lbs thing isn't a great thing to use for judging power. Impact velocity around 2K is simply for bullet performance. Once the bullet performs in the place you put it, it's game over for the animal. That's why placement is 100% everything.

Nothing wrong with a 270. It's been a fine rifle cart. for a very long time. Like any other rifle you have to know what it does and how to place the shot. Not to many years ago we didn't have range finders nor scope that you could adjust for elevation and wind. Back them it was called Kentucky windage. I figure out how to use my 2 x 7 with dueplex scope at 7 power to determine the range of deer size animals out to and including 500 yds. I was using a 25/06 in 22" barrel with a 120 gr. bullet. I made several shots at 500 yrds and they when down. Sure cut down the guessing. Most rifle will reach out 300 yds with out a problem. That are set up an inch high at 100 yds velocity at or over 3000 pfs. After that you really need to know what the round is doing and the range. Any shot beyond 600 yards probably needs a faster twist rate, and they are building bullets to handle that too "now". They didn't back in the days of my age group and before. I been hunting for 62 years now.
SSS
Mike

The 6.5 cm is an awesome testament to CNC machining, and all the computer assisted design modeling, computer assisted marketing and present day quality control of both guns and ammunition...great times to be a shooter..BUT...apply all that technology, technique and "affection" to any well designed cartridge (like the 270win)and we would get a similar creedmore result...6.5 cm has center stage for the moment so....many others have "talent" too.

Last edited:
I have a Remington model 700 in 270 win made in the late 70's early 80's. I collect bullets I ran across a box of speer 170gr. round nose bullets at a gun show. I went home loaded them up and they shot just fine no keyholes. They were very long for caliber so I wonder has anybody tried the 170gr berger in a standard barrel.

Well here we are again gentlemen: Lets keep in mind that the .270 Win was born in 1925 , an compared to the range and trajectory of many other hunting rounds that existed back then , it was a huge improvement. Back when you would not take a 250yard to 300 yard shot with a 30-30 or 32 Win Special or 35 Rem, the .270 Win, with a 130 grn bullet , was considered a fast long range deer round, BY COMPARISSON , 3/4 of a century ago. So what is the point, that after thousands of experiments , and by dozens of companies, 80 years later , some one come up with some thing maybe almost as good, or maybe just as good. Gun and Ammo Companies need to drive sales to stay alive , and great marketing drives sales. and if Gun writers didn't rave about the new super duper 6mm ;or 30 cal, we might all just have 3 rifles , in three calibers , and never buy anything new. That's not any fun. So it's flattering to see , that after spending a zillion dollars on research, testing and man hours , and multi company collaboration , some company may say be able "the 6.5mm super duper is the .270 of 2025 " Congratulations on taking a nearly a century to make an improvement, perhaps. The young guys can all run out and get one!!!

Love the LR discussions in here - - and as noted - most hunters don't need the reach of what is kicked about in here. Heck - in the thick timber I was used to around Klamath Falls - my lever action Winchester M was fine - but in the open Country/ranches - the trusty .06 worked fine. :)

Love the LR discussions in here - - and as noted - most hunters don't need the reach of what is kicked about in here. Heck - in the thick timber I was used to around Klamath Falls - my lever action Winchester M was fine - but in the open Country/ranches - the trusty .06 worked fine. :)
Model 94 in .32 Special .....

When you buy the wrong ammo you can get unstable results. Just make 1:8 twist barrel requirement prominent on the box. Ok, I bought some hammers to try in my .270 and then I read the requirements. Anyone need a box of Hammers? Steve has offered to take them back but I have just not gotten to it.

I have a Remington model 700 in 270 win made in the late 70's early 80's. I collect bullets I ran across a box of speer 170gr. round nose bullets at a gun show. I went home loaded them up and they shot just fine no keyholes. They were very long for caliber so I wonder has anybody tried the 170gr berger in a standard barrel.
Won't work. Much longer than your round nose bullet with less bearing surface. They are VLD bullets and require a fast twist barrel. I have some round nosed 160s for my 6.5 also. Long but not like VLDs. They shoot in a 10 twist also.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.