So why are we all paying a hazmat fee then?

A quick search of FedEx and ups accidents will show you that almost all of them were a result of hazardous material. In the Everglades it was oxen generators. If I was a carrier and I had lost planes to hazmat I would either stop carrying it or increase cost🤷🏻‍♂️ Some hazmats are worse then others but most often it's the combination of more then one.
Hazmat shipments are ground only, they can no longer go by air largely as a result of that accident.

Have you seen how the powder is shipped. In plastic containers, in a cardboard box. I haven't seen a wood stoves in those trucks that deliver those items either. Sometime the boxes are badly damage too. It's bullsh*t.
It isn't about special care or worrying about breakables, it's all about the risk of fire and/or explosion.

Modern powders are not 1800's NG, they don't blow up when you drop them.

So you saying that since I ordered 8lbs of powder last year the local fire dept. got a notice with my address in case of fire? I find this hard to believe because we have fire fighters in the family. Actually just had the fireman's ball and drank some cold ones with the Chief. I am going to ask him and see.
That would be up to your local PD or SD to inform them. I know for a fact the police get notices when you buy in volume.

I have a question for Butter Bean since I know you like the 7mm STW, sorry for posting here but I didn't where to post, the question is what brass do you run in your STWs? I don't think ADG or Peterson produce any, I am using Nosler when I can get, I think it is a little better than Rem., Win., or Fed. What do you have the best luck with? Thanks Gene
Can't answer for Beans but I'm running a mix of Remington, Winchester, Nosler and I probably have 100 or so Federal cases.

The last powder (HAZMAT) delivery I received, I watched the driver toss the box up on the stoop from a fair distance and let the box just hit the bricks. Somehow I got the feeling that my HAZMAT fee wasn't being well utilized.

HAZMAT is just more shipping BS that separates buyers from their money. A lot of people are making good money on this useless regulation IMO.
HAZMAT does not equal fragile. Not that fragile means anything either.

HAZMAT does not equal fragile. Not that fragile means anything either.
I don't see much hazard in delivering powder & primers but did notice that the boxes are thicker. Maybe that's just to absorb impact on delivery. 🤣 🤣

I agree with Bean - they add the additional charge because they know we have few options. I'd be interested to know how much HAZMAT fees are collected annually and how much of it results in pure profit.

In case no one caught it, Hazardous Materials are regulated under 49 CFR Part 172.
That "CFR" is Code of Federal Regulations, and specifies the how each HazMat item is packaged and what can be shipped together without reacting to other items if an accident occurs.
It is govt' regs, complete with criminal penalties imposed on us all because some fools thought they could save a few bucks on shipping. Killed some people in the process.
Having to deal with things that go boom, or make lethal gases during an accident are not something one wants to do blindly.
This chart is a guide used to prep the process to give you a better understanding.
It is stinking expensive to comply with these regulations for both the shipper and the carrier in training employees and record keeping.

Carriers (UPS, FedEx, and the various freight companies) charge shippers a fee for each hazmat shipment the shipper sends out. The government does not receive any portion of the hazmat fee and does not set the hazmat fee. The carriers charge a fee to offset the increased costs involved in dealing with the hazmats including paperwork verification, special handling, load restrictions, and employee certifications. The shipper may add on an additional amount to the fee imposed by the carrier. This fee will help cover the additional costs associated with the mandatory training, and certification of the shipper's employees, as well as the additional cost of shipping supplies.

The government is only involved in classifying an item as hazmat and enforcing compliance with the regulations. They don't make any money off of it.
I worked for UPS for 33 years. The regulations imposed on the carriers by the gov't cost the carriers a boat load of money. But because so many people these days have little or no common sense, they are needed.

The last powder (HAZMAT) delivery I received, I watched the driver toss the box up on the stoop from a fair distance and let the box just hit the bricks. Somehow I got the feeling that my HAZMAT fee wasn't being well utilized.

HAZMAT is just more shipping BS that separates buyers from their money. A lot of people are making good money on this useless regulation IMO.
You should have called the carrier and reported the driver. That was not only stupid but dangerous as well. The carrier should be told when a driver acts this way. It's a liability problem for the carrier and they cannot correct a problem if they don't know that one exists.

I have a question for Butter Bean since I know you like the 7mm STW, sorry for posting here but I didn't where to post, the question is what brass do you run in your STWs? I don't think ADG or Peterson produce any, I am using Nosler when I can get, I think it is a little better than Rem., Win., or Fed. What do you have the best luck with? Thanks Gene
Nosler is better than all of the others you listed, Fed is a waste of time in the STW

I've used this video for many years now, to demonstrate the relative safety of ammunition on fire.

It's somewhat common to be battling a structure fire and hear some ammo cooking off inside the building. Some company and command officers who don't understand the risks of burning ammo may go defensive and withdraw from the fire attack, thinking the ammo causes a significant risk to their fire crews.

After watching this video, hopefully they have an understanding that the presence of ammunition inside the fire doesn't pose a significant risk, and the fire can be attacked and the building can be saved.

Post 9-11 regulations. If you buy in volume part of that fee pays for the paperwork to deliver a notice to your local PD/SD so they have you on a list of places to approach with caution in case of fire and to put them on alert if you're nut getting ready to start a revolution.
What are you posting? Please post some facts on this claim. What paperwork generated by who and how is it delivered.