So why are we all paying a hazmat fee then?

Eric Musgrove

Check out this video

Very Interesting! Made a believer out of the skeptic. I rather have a powder fire then an aerosol can fire. When we burnt the house trash, when I was at home, you would always look out for those hair spray cans, put them in a hot spot and back off to watch!:)
Yeah a can of WD-40 is interesting to say the least. Aqua net was my fuel for my potato gun

The way I understand it is the govt requires shippers to go to training to become qualified to ship things like primers and powder. The govt does specify how much the shipper must charge for a hazmat fee. The shipper gets to require a hazmat fee to pay for sending an employee to training.

It's like when shippers required handguns to be shipped overnight. This wasn't due to some govt mandate. It was due to the shippers loosing too many pistols. But, gee, it sure was nice to make some extra $$ that way.

Check out this video

Post 9-11 regulations. If you buy in volume part of that fee pays for the paperwork to deliver a notice to your local PD/SD so they have you on a list of places to approach with caution in case of fire and to put them on alert if you're nut getting ready to start a revolution.

Carriers (UPS, FedEx, and the various freight companies) charge shippers a fee for each hazmat shipment the shipper sends out. The government does not receive any portion of the hazmat fee and does not set the hazmat fee. The carriers charge a fee to offset the increased costs involved in dealing with the hazmats including paperwork verification, special handling, load restrictions, and employee certifications. The shipper may add on an additional amount to the fee imposed by the carrier. This fee will help cover the additional costs associated with the mandatory training, and certification of the shipper's employees, as well as the additional cost of shipping supplies.

The government is only involved in classifying an item as hazmat and enforcing compliance with the regulations. They don't make any money off of it.