So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

I just worked up a load for the 95 grain Berger classic hunters. I'm used to 210 grain bullets in my 300wm so these bullets looked like .22 lead. We'll see how it does on game this season hopefully.

I just worked up a load for the 95 grain Berger classic hunters. I'm used to 210 grain bullets in my 300wm so these bullets looked like .22 lead. We'll see how it does on game this season hopefully.

Shot quite a few deer with the 95 grain Berger bullets in 243. Never had one take a step after the shot. Keep in mind I'm in California and we have a deer called pacific coastal mule deer and they are quite small.

I hunted in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness several years, I loved hunting those Black-Tails. A lot of Boone and Crocket Black Tails came out of that area. I would love to hunt there again. Shot all my bucks with my .243 and 100gr Core locks

Many of you might not believe how many deer have been killed here in the Ozarks with 22lr. That up to the 22 hornet has been the poachers gun of choice for as long as I can remember. I don't like poachers. :(

Anyway, I am one of the ones who will tell you it is all about shot placement. Even then it will surprise you.

Case in point. I've shot several Missouri deer with .223. Always I make sure they are within 75 steps standing broadside with them picking grass, not knowing I'm even around.

One day it was real windy and cold and I decided to hunt a very heavy brush hollow. An eight point buck came in within 25 yards eating acorns. didn't know I was around. Broadside shot in the heart and the buck took off running like a scalded dog. Thought I'd missed until I seen pieces of his heart on the ground and a blood trail like 5 gallon buckets of blood poured on the ground. Tracked that deer 175 big steps before I found him.

The deer I had killed with the .223 up to that time had all either made a couple of steps and fell over dead or maybe went as much as 20 steps before dropping dead.

Deer are full of nerves. Watch them when they hear a sound. Distant sound they stop and listen. Up close sound they run. Same happens with big bullets over small. Small is like a small sting and they stop to see what happened. big slams them like a pickup truck and they automatically run.

I could go on all day typing stories of shots on deer I've taken that should've never happened according to conventional wisdom of today. Let's just say I've never hunted deer in Missouri with anything larger than 30-30 or smaller than .223, and I've not had any get away that was the fault of the gun or caliber. It was always my fault.

.243win is my choice for deer. I've seen too many taken with it not to realize it's effectiveness. But, understand that most shots taken here are under 200 yards. Out west where the closest you may get is 300.....well that may be different.

Im having my .243AI rebarreled as my old barrel was a learning experience and the smith used a old reamer that was over 35 years old. It could not shoot boat tails. Well it will be wearing a 26" Brouton sp 1x8 for shooting the 105 Berger.

RL 22

and close to 3300 fps.........................that's an honest 600 yard deer rifle and it will also be my elk rifle next year in Idaho.

Like everyone says its all about bullet placement.......................with that in mind......................there is no questions to ask there is no arguments the .243 is a classic Deer round. The only time its not is when you don't own one.

My oldest friend went to a .243 (SAVAGE) after he had Heart surgery because of the recoil
every deer he shot they
never went ovet 25 yards, they droped right there. I guess it is the fact of the shot placement. I woud not have any problem with this calibre.

I probably wouldnt shoot it past 250yards but a .243 under this distance is plenty for deer. BUT as others have said...why not have a bigger caliber unless felt recoil is a HUGE factor which I do know a few people who flinch like crazy so a smaller caliber is better, however, one could buy a 270 or 3006 and put a break on it and make it as soft as the .243.

The .243 with the 105 berger is a great deer cartridge WAY past 250 yards If its only good out to 250 then so is the 270 on Elk............................This whole thing is similar to when we were in High School and there were always the guys that had to have the car with the most Horse Power, Some how you could always justify more horse power..........................Kind of like now, guys just get all excited when it has a belt or when the word Ultra appears.........................

Personally, I think its more about our ego's than anything else.

The .243 with the 105 berger is a great deer cartridge WAY past 250 yards If its only good out to 250 then so is the 270 on Elk............................This whole thing is similar to when we were in High School and there were always the guys that had to have the car with the most Horse Power, Some how you could always justify more horse power..........................Kind of like now, guys just get all excited when it has a belt or when the word Ultra appears.........................

Personally, I think its more about our ego's than anything else.

I'm right there with you. It's ego or lack of knowledge/experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.