So, We Figured Out Annealing. How about Primer Pocket Restoration?

$64,000 question:
Load comparison?
ES SD Velocity?
Accuracy comparison, consistency?
Primer pocket seating pressure measurement?

Data to support and validate a hammer smashing base of brass with bolt onto a ball bearing? Hammer dimensions? Hammer type?Weight? Fall speed? Force? Replication of strike?

I am all in on Redneck Engineering and carry duct tape, roll of wire and electrical ties in truck but I also need to see actual data to validate the result.

Its hard enough to shoot 1/2MOA with unadulterated brass so its real easy to have skepticism to maintain same performance with a hammer and ball bearing.

So Let's see some validation data.
You give me the $64,000 I will get you the data...maybe...pay first, work later

Personally, I'm not losing primer pockets fast enough to worry about it, but if you are and it his works, rock on.

If it works well enough then eventually Lee will make a $15 tool that works in a press for this. Hornady will make the same thing but it costs $40 and is a 50 thousanths smaller than spec. AMP will release a $2,500 hydraulic press with a force gauge that produces a graph so we can see the exact point at which at which the brass yields to reform the cup. Novels will be written on the internet about how as long as you use a 16oz hammer and let gravity control the force via a 6" drop (calibrated for variations in your local gravitational field of course) that you'll size the pocket perfectly. People who shoot Weatherby's will insist it has to be a ball peen hammer because of the roundness of the peen. The Europeans will tell us stupid Yanks that they've been doing since the 1647 but it only works if you use the metric system. The Aussies are asleep right now, and besides they're probably too busy fighting off all the poisonous snakes to worry about primer pockets.
Don't forget, we need a graph showing the different drop heights to ajust for variations in hammer weights...
Seriously, QT, you know what mkes your post so funny?..Because there is so much truth in it

$64,000 question:
Load comparison?
ES SD Velocity?

Data to support and validate a hammer smashing base of brass with bolt onto a ball bearing? Hammer dimensions? Hammer type?Weight? Fall speed? Force? Replication of strike?

I am all in on Redneck Engineering and carry duct tape, roll of wire and electrical ties in truck but I also need to see actual data to validate the result.

Its hard enough to shoot 1/2MOA with unadulterated brass so its real easy to have skepticism to maintain same performance with a hammer and ball bearing.

I'm shooting low pressure subsonic loads, so I don't really give a hoot.😂😂😂

This outfit has been making this tool for quite a while now. Can't say how well it works as I've never used one although I do have both sizes.

Last edited:
This outfit has been making this tool for quite a while now. Can't say how it works as I've never used one although I do have both sizes.
That's actually really nifty, I like the guidepin and how it steps down to measure it's own progress.

$64,000 question:
Load comparison?
ES SD Velocity?

I love this, everyone wants data and proof. To justify getting your butt off the couch to go shooting.
I still know benchrest guys that fill their brass based on volume right at the range. No data, no gizmos, no hi-tec presses and computer-based annealers and scales. And they shoot better than the PRC shooters all day long. Maybe they don't look and sound so cool.... :)

Last edited: