So I've got this Model 70 classic action...

bushgun

...chambered in 30.06. It is a lightweight gun, that really beats you up after shooting it for a bit. So I bought a McMillan hunter stock and had originally planned to re-barrel it with a heavier 30.06 barrel. However, I've got a few 308s, and, after reading about the 6.5s, 7s and such here, I was thinking about a change. I'd like to be able to use it for not only deer hunting, but shooting steel throughout the year. Where I shoot, I have the ability to reach out to about 1200 yards. I also would like to use my .308 silencer with it as well. I recently purchased a Pacific Tool bottom metal which uses the 300 Win Mag AI mags.

So what caliber? Back to the 06, 280 AI, 6.5.06 or something else? I don't reload now, but intend to purchase a re-loader later this year.
So caliber would be a good fit?

...chambered in 30.06. It is a lightweight gun, that really beats you up after shooting it for a bit. So I bought a McMillan hunter stock and had originally planned to re-barrel it with a heavier 30.06 barrel. However, I've got a few 308s, and, after reading about the 6.5s, 7s and such here, I was thinking about a change. I'd like to be able to use it for not only deer hunting, but shooting steel throughout the year. Where I shoot, I have the ability to reach out to about 1200 yards. I also would like to use my .308 silencer with it as well. I recently purchased a Pacific Tool bottom metal which uses the 300 Win Mag AI mags.

So what caliber? Back to the 06, 280 AI, 6.5.06 or something else? I don't reload now, but intend to purchase a re-loader later this year.
So caliber would be a good fit?

Many great cartridges out there that will do what you need. The 280 AI or the 6.5-06 that you listed seem to be the most logical choices because I'm sure you already have a bunch of 30-06 brass from which both of those wildcats can be formed.

For paper/steel punching and deer hunting, I would personally go with the lower recoil of the 6.5-06. The 280 AI is a very good long range cartridge, but it will kick every bit as hard as a 30-06, if not more when speeds are pushed to max. I can't tell much difference in recoil between a 7mm Rem Mag and a 280 AI

Thanks for the feedback. I really like a lot of what I have read about the 280 AI, and if I understand correctly, the 280 Remington will feed in it as well. My only hesitation with the 6.5-06 is the lack of factory loadings, but I'm still reading up on it. The 6.5 x 55 Sweede also has some appeal since I can get some cheaper factory loads to practice with.
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I would like to keep the barrel length to 24." Any longer with a can starts to get a bit long.

What's the barrel life like on the 6.5-06 and 280 AI?

Just depends how fast you want to push heavy bullets and how hot you get your barrel shooting targets. Shooting 3 shot groups makes a barrel last much longer than shooting 10 shot groups. Either way, I wouldn't be concerned with barrel life on either of those rounds. Though with identical pressures, the edge would definitely go to the 280 AI for barrel life.

The 6.5-06 is the most overbored and still uses the original 06 shoulder angle.
I would think out of the calibers in discussion, it would have the shortest barrel life.

The 6.5-284, 284, and 280 ai all use a sharper shoulder angle. Ive seen competition rifles in these calibers shoot sub 1/2moa for 1500+ rounds. Like drill dog stated, under different circumstances you will probally get more rounds than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts