So it looks like the old saying is true

ButterBean

I went in to Academy Sports today looking for some Odds and Ends, All the gun stores up here are bare and most of the owners say everything is hard to get, anyway as always I go thru the guns and Ammo, The Ammo shelves were bare save for the old standbys, 25-06, 270 and 308, no 30-06 to be seen, So with all of the discussion lately about the demise of the 270 , 30-06 and 308 to the 6.5 C^^^^^^^r, I guess it rings true....... When it gets tough you'll be able to find ammo for them anywhere
IMG_3171.JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3172.JPGIMG_3175.JPGIMG_3173.JPG

One of these days I will have to get me one of them fancy 6.5cm's but as long as I can get a box of 270's at wally world for under $20, I ain't gonna stop huntin with it. Then again, thinking the 6.5cm will cause the demise of other calibers because it shoots better out past 500 yds when 98% of the big game in this country are probably killed in less than 200 yards seems like a silly notion. Heck, I am in TN and I'd say 95% of the deer harvested in this state were taken at under 100yds and less than .1% were taken at a range where there would be a benefit to having a 6.5cm over any other cartridge like the 270 or 30/06..

One of these days I will have to get me one of them fancy 6.5cm's but as long as I can get a box of 270's at wally world for under $20, I ain't gonna stop huntin with it. Then again, thinking the 6.5cm will cause the demise of other calibers because it shoots better out past 500 yds when 98% of the big game in this country are probably killed in less than 200 yards seems like a silly notion. Heck, I am in TN and I'd say 95% of the deer harvested in this state were taken at under 100yds and less than .1% were taken at a range where there would be a benefit to having a 6.5cm over any other cartridge like the 270 or 30/06..
I can't agree that the 6.5CM shoots better past 500 yards. I'll agree that it's more of a precision cartridge based on the case design for longer vld type bullets getting the most from the case capacity. The 6.5 bullets offer better ballistics but I think the velocity increase of the .270 doesn't allow that performance enhancement of the 6.5 to catch up before 1000 yards. Remember there is a pretty good velocity difference in the two with same weight bullets. Going with the 145 ELD vs the 143 ELD, the 143 has a higher bc but the 145 from the .270 will be moving faster. After running the numbers from both cartridges out to 1000 yards, they are single numbers from being identical. 143 eld vs 145 eld. I will say that shooting the 6.5 CM is more pleasant than shooting the .270. Over 10 grains less powder tends to do that. The fairest comparison would be the 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 vs .270. That's where the gap changes around 500 yards out.

Last edited:
Basically, it states that the advantage other than recoil is wind drift.

It's where the BC comes in. Slipperier defying wind and gravity a bit better. Matching the 145 to the 143 with higher velocities of the .270, it's about equal in both wind and drop data. Now if you compared the same two bullets with equal cartridge case capacity such as the 6.5/06, the 6.5 is much better beyond 500 yards. The difference becomes more noticable every 100 yards down range. The equal velocity at the muzzle gives the 6.5s higher BC a clear advantage. Windrift me be an inch or two different but the 270 still outperforms the 6.5 CM in velocity and energy at 800. Again the higher BC 6.5 bullet makes that windage difference.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.