So im still green on this site but oct is coming fast. New gun build.

Shamus83

Hello again to all reading. James here.
I am loking into building an elk rifle and I'm debating how I want to begin.
My first issue is I want to build a long action rifle but I have a very nice sa manners stock waiting for a build.

I'm still under my minimum posts for classifieds so it's not out there yet, but I will be seeing if anyone want to buy or traid for it.

I was lucky enough to win it at a local long range event and have been thinking of a 7ss or 300ss build.

It is a manners carbon fibor (I think it's the t2) with the mini chasis. It is for a Remington sa with a reminton sendero barrel profile and in the gap molded and best I can tell the build sheet on manners has a new build like it at $1200+.
Just gonna see if there is any interest. I would love the same stock but in a la with cip mags... and inleted for a proof sendaro barrel.

If theres No interest ...no problem.. let's talk about the 300ss more lol. I just need to get this ball rolling kinda fast... as october is coming fast. And covid19 or not I'm going to the mountains. Lol.
Thanks for reading yall.

Yes, definitely an option. The 300ss or 7ss would probably be best since I'm looking for the high bc bullets and I'll be limited to 2.950 max coal with acis mags. If I do go this route I would love to hear more about others that have them and the hunti g loads they use.
I have downloaded the load data sheet that has been on here for a while now but I haven't seen the 300ss with 200eldx or 212... ?

My buddy kills elk with a 308 and 165 grain sierra game kings. You dont NEED a long action or magnum to kill elk. They certainly can give you more wiggle room though. What other guns and calibers do you shoot? With october not too far away sticking with the stock you already have could be a good idea, instead of having to order and wait for everything. Id build something at or over 308 diameter if elk is the main reason for the build. 300 wsm, 325 wsm, 338 federal. Something like that.

Last edited:
My buddy kills elk with a 308 and 165 grain sierra game kings. You dont NEED a long action or magnum to kill elk. They certainly can give you more wiggle room though. What other guns and calibers do you shoot? With october not too far away sticking with the stock you already have could be a good idea, instead of having to order and wait for everything. Id build something at or over 308 diameter if elk is the main reason for the build. 300 wsm, 325 wsm, 338 federal. Something like that.
The 308 is hard to beat for most critters, a double lung shot and it's going down. I like the 338 federal, mine will shoot the 200 gr. Accubonds out to 300 yards and still hold a tight group.

This isn't the way to circumvent the requirements for posting in the classifieds. But here is my advice.

Keep the stock. It is a good start to your new custom build, albeit a touch heavier than it could be without the mini chassis. You won't get new price for it anyway, maybe enough to replace it with another stock with less features. Meaning added costs to complete it.

A good 7mm or .308 SA magnum will put elk on the ground from most reasonable hunting distances. A 7SS would be my choice, but I am fond of the Sherman lines. You can run a 175 Berger Elite or 180 Hyb in it, and have a great elk rifle that fits well in an Accurate mag.

I like the idea of using the stock you have if it fits you and future goals. If you love the classics or standard off the shelf choices .300wsm would be the ticket.

If you want to go the full route of something different or more custom then you are asking the right guys LOL.

Good luck!

This isn't the way to circumvent the requirements for posting in the classifieds. But here is my advice.

Keep the stock. It is a good start to your new custom build, albeit a touch heavier than it could be without the mini chassis. You won't get new price for it anyway, maybe enough to replace it with another stock with less features. Meaning added costs to complete it.

A good 7mm or .308 SA magnum will put elk on the ground from most reasonable hunting distances. A 7SS would be my choice, but I am fond of the Sherman lines. You can run a 175 Berger Elite or 180 Hyb in it, and have a great elk rifle that fits well in an Accurate mag.
this right here! I shoot the 175 elite hunters from my 7 saum surgeon short action and take elk with no problem. My coal is 2.85 and the rifle shoots bugholes. The 7ss or saum would be a great choice either way.

Ok I've started to type this out a few times and stoped for one reason or another... here goes..
What I'm looking for.
Loaded question right.. lol
So I like this idea of the la because it gives a little more weight,velosity,bc options. When building a load for medium to long range elk.

I lean a little towards the 30 because a lot of the shots that may present could be relatively close in idaho tember and the idea of a larger 308 type hole (durring Murphys law) makes for better blood tracking scenarios. But this is not absolute for me. 7s are elk killers too... and shot placement is king.

Would love to push the 212eldx around 3000 ish From a 26in barrel. Maybe I'm dreaming?
(assuming my accuracy node lands around there not the speed for speeds sake.)

I borrowed a buddy's 300wsm in a christionson arms clasic, and hand loaded them to shoot 5in to 8in groups at 1000. Most of my spread was left right (wind)... Albeit a relatively calm day. In thos open potato fields.

I like the 300wsm but to shoot the 200eldx at 2900ish (what I was pushing those 200eldxs)
I'm not sure they would fit in the drop mag of a wsm acis. Maybe ?? And the 212?

In the threads i was reading and the load data i have seen show the 300ss reaching very close to that in a true short action.. but I haven't seen anyone trying the 200 ot 212 eldx bullets specifically. (not that those are my only options... but I have a few of them on hand.

So yes some of what I was hoping for was someone to have a (light weight) Cf la stock that would be a good traid for both parties. Wasn't trying to break any rules. Just plant seeds of opportunity for after I can post it in classifieds.
The other thing I am looking for is for those that have a 7ss or 300ss in a true short action to chat about their experiences with the 200 and 212 if there are any. Any learned experiences from being the first few to build these and what they would have done differently.
I agree having the stock on hand is probably my best route to finishing this project. But if I was starting from scratch it is not the stock I would build right now. For this elk gun.

Currently looking at a curtis vector, (like it for the idea of its switch lug capability) a bighorn (nice because other bolt heads are cheaper) a trued Remington (cheapest route and still solid) and flirting with the idea of ti action (no idea which one or why, I've also heard that it may not be the best metal for shooting alot). So all over the place, leaning towards the vector.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and sorry it took me so long to respond.

I like the larger 30 cal too for the reasons you brought up. I don't know if you can get 3000 fps on the 212 ELD-X but it seems possible. There are guys pushing the 215 Berger to 3000+fps. Maybe the 300 RUM would do the trick.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.