So I’m not the only one... 264 Win Mag

DrillDog,
Winchester, Hornady, Norma, Nosler all make 264 Win Mag Brass. Those companies and a few more also make 300 Win Mag brass. Lapua doesnt.

Not sure what magnums you are referring to, but you may want to try ADG brass to see if they make what you are looking for. I know ADG brass for 300 WM and 338 LM is pretty solid. I think there was talk about making SAUM brass too, but I don't shoot it so I didn't follow it...

Hell would have to freeze over before I let a company like Lapua determine what I shoot based off what they create. Seems like allot of folks are getting by just fine without Lapua brass...
Not meant to offend you, just stating my thoughts on the subject.
Amen brother preach!

They are barrel burners. Any 6.5 that pushes 140gr bullets up around 3200 fps is gonna be a barrel burner. No way around that. If a person wants to shoot targets all the time for fun, they'll be having to change the pipe a lot more often than most would like. If used as hunting rifle with some occasional practice and sighting in, the barrel will last many years

What makes any cartridge a "Barrel Burner" is how fast it is loaded, and frequency of shots when barrel temps rise, without letting barrel cool. If you know this, you can manage your barrel life. So in essence, the rifleman MAKES his rifle a "Barrel Burner".

Either enabled by his knowledge, or handicapped by his ignorance...

I can load my 264 Win Mag down to ballistics of a 6.5 CM and shoot it just like someone who shoots a 6.5 CM and expect my barrel to last just as long. Is it still a "barrel burner"?

Knowing this makes the choice of ownership easier.

If you want to shoot a rifle like a 223 or a 308, then get one of those and have at it. I do.

DrillDog,
Winchester, Hornady, Norma, Nosler all make 264 Win Mag Brass. Those companies and a few more also make 300 Win Mag brass. Lapua doesnt.

Not sure what magnums you are referring to, but you may want to try ADG brass to see if they make what you are looking for. I know ADG brass for 300 WM and 338 LM is pretty solid. I think there was talk about making SAUM brass too, but I don't shoot it so I didn't follow it...

Hell would have to freeze over before I let a company like Lapua determine what I shoot based off what they create. Seems like allot of folks are getting by just fine without Lapua brass...
Not meant to offend you, just stating my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks for that. I thought the 264 was in the same boat as my 6.5 Rem Mag.

I don't let Lapua brass dictate what I am going to shoot but it sure is nice to have it if there is the option. Peterson brass is just as strong.

Norma is pretty good brass, but not my first choice. I think Nosler is way overpriced for the quality. Will never buy Nosler brass again. Haven't heard of ADG. Will check them out.

Does RWS make your brass? I've heard some good about them.

I need to research your cartridge more.

Everyone in the world could quit making 264 WM brass and is still have a 264 WM... at least for as long as 7 Mag brass is available... LOL!!

What makes any cartridge a "Barrel Burner" is how fast it is loaded, and frequency of shots when barrel temps rise, without letting barrel cool. If you know this, you can manage your barrel life. So in essence, the rifleman MAKES his rifle a "Barrel Burner".

Either enabled by his knowledge, or handicapped by his ignorance...

I can load my 264 Win Mag down to ballistics of a 6.5 CM and shoot it just like someone who shoots a 6.5 CM and expect my barrel to last just as long. Is it still a "barrel burner"?

Knowing this makes the choice of ownership easier.

If you want to shoot a rifle like a 223 or a 308, then get one of those and have at it. I do.

A barrel burner is a cartidge that when loaded to full speed potential and used with a high rate of fire or frequency it will ruin a barrel very fast. I consider barrel burners as cartridges that will never see 1,000 rounds before the barrel is completely shot out.

Doesn't mean you have to shoot it that way. Like I said, you can shoot it occasionally with short shot strings to make it last.

Of course you can load the 264 down to 6.5 CM specs to save barrel life, but then what in the hell is the point of building a big 6.5??? ;)

My point was just to.make people aware that they can't take a 264 out to the range, load it up to 3200+ fps with 140gr bullets and start shooting targets all day long all the time. I've shot out 6.5 barrels with fast catridges in less than 600 rounds doing just that.

A barrel burner is a cartidge that when loaded to full speed potential and used with a high rate of fire or frequency it will ruin a barrel very fast. I consider barrel burners as cartridges that will never see 1,000 rounds before the barrel is completely shot out.

Doesn't mean you have to shoot it that way. Like I said, you can shoot it occasionally with short shot strings to make it last.

Of course you can load the 264 down to 6.5 CM specs to save barrel life, but then what in the hell is the point of building a big 6.5??? ;)

My point was just to.make people aware that they can't take a 264 out to the range, load it up to 3200+ fps with 140gr bullets and start shooting targets all day long all the time. I've shot out 6.5 barrels with fast catridges in less than 600 rounds doing just that.

The point would be so if you wanted to take one rifle out to the range and shoot it all day, you could, AND, if you wanted to use the same rifle to engage a long target, you could do that too, provided you let it cool, and you took both boxes of ammo you loaded to do it... I don't do this, just saying you could.

I'd rather take multiple magnum rifles to the range and enjoy them all a little bit at a time. (I have 6... for now...)

Personally, I don't shoot ANY rifle I spent my hard earned cash on while it's hot. That's just me, and I know there are people out there who think and feel differently about that. That's ok.

Bertram brass makes 6.5 Rem mag brass and 7mm Rem mag which can easily be necked down to 264 Win mag and everything I have used had been solid and will out last most brass

Never tried Bertram brass. I know their brass was sketchy early on, but supposedly their QC is a lot better these days. Don't know if I want to pay $155 per hundred of 6.5 Rem Mag brass just to see if it will hold up with an extra 50 fps. Animals aren't going to know the difference between 3200 and 3250 anyhow.

Remington 6.5 RM brass, as bad as it is, can be prepped to be decent. My 6.5 Rem Mag is a 1/4 MOA hunting rifle (1.5" groups at 600 yards). My son's 6.5 Rem Mag is in early stages of load development and already has 3 loads producing groups in the 0.4's at 100 yards.

But Remington brass is very hard to come by these days as the 6.5 Rem Mag is nearly obsolete in the shooting world. Just no demand for it. Good to know there is Bertram brass available. Thanks for that.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 264 win lover as well and just acquired a Cooper Long Range 264win (with proof carbon barrel). Rel 33 with 140 NAB shoots .6 MOA at approximately 3180 FPS....Any other load recommendations for a deer/elk rifle out to 600 yards? Or, stop looking and enjoy shooting :)

On another note, the 6.5 Remington Magnum was one of the first "short magnums" ever designed. It never took off that as it was only offered in Remington 660 Tomahawk rifles with 20" barrels. The short barrel never let the world know the true potential of the round leaving it to forever dwell in the shadow of the 264 Win Mag. Then came the 7mm Remington Magnum and that was the end for 6.5mm rounds in the US for a long time. Today with custom barrel offerings and excellent handloading components, the world has come back around to enjoying the 6.5mm catridges for all types of hunting and target shooting.

Of course Europeans have always used the 6.5mm rounds, but being Americans, if we didn't design it, we don't like it ;)

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 264 win lover as well and just acquired a Cooper Long Range 264win (with proof carbon barrel). Rel 33 with 140 NAB shoots .6 MOA at approximately 3180 FPS....Any other load recommendations for a deer/elk rifle out to 600 yards? Or, stop looking and enjoy shooting :)

LOL! No... sounds like you're right on track there...Hahaha!
I'm running the 147 ELDM's in your 'hood.

There was a gentleman earlier in this thread Rhett Crider, that mentioned IMR 8133. I intend to pursue that. There's also MagnumManiac who competes or something with the 264... unless I misunderstood.
Actually, there's allot of folks here that may be able to help you out!!

So... question for you, MTsmith, was that Cooper special order, or can I just pick one up when I lay my credit card down? I need to look into those!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.