So how do you get into shape???

Found a similar product at Walmart
Yep, but impossible to train for ALTITUDE unless your up in it.
I train year round for that once or twice trip out west , but always have to take a few days to acclimate to the altitude when I get there.
They work pretty well in my experience

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Don't wasn't your time or money on any device that asphyxiates you.

You need oxygen. Don't restrict your ability to inhale O2 during exercise.

If anything the best is live high, train low.

Park as far as you can from stores you go into for those extra steps. Don't take the elevator. Chase your tail when you can? Find a step/stair, place the pad of your foot and toes on it and do toe rises and lowers as many times as you want slowly (not to slow or to fast). You can stand in a manner where your knee is at a 45 degree and raise your arms as you step up (cardio in a way). What I have my kids do for training is walk 10-15 seconds at a time with your arms in 4 different positions. 1) arms pointing straight out, 2) arms straight out in front, 3) arms straight up and 4) arms crossing your chest (not touching your body). It can be high stress or very tiring? Depending on age and physical fitness you can do 5 seconds at each phase.

Here's my two cents, I live in north Florida at sea level. Have hunted in Colorado and Montana. Impossible to replicate the altitude. However, I run and hike with about 30-40 lbs in my pack. I haven't had any issues. Was in the maroon bells last fall and was fine. Went as high as 13,000'. Camped at 10,500. You have to drink plenty of water. If you've never experienced it, pace yourself. If you get to feeling bad (altitude sickness) get to lower elevation. But be honest with your training. You know if you're not pushing yourself. No easy way about it. CrossFit is good for your base and stability. Eat right and drop the unnecessary lbs if you got em. I dropped 25 before my last trip and it was we'll worth it.

I start in the gym mid July. I am 50 and have to start slower as I get older. I always hike and move on weekends, but now back to the gym it will be 3 days on 1 off till duck season opens. Alot of cardio before, and between weight training with Stairmaster and treadmill. This gets me ready for duck season and carrying decoys and dragging boats. By the time I get to big game seasons I am in better shape than I need to be and just need 2 days to adjust to altitude.

Last edited:
I work in a 50 story office building, and do workouts in the stairwell. I'll go to the basement and take the stairs up to the 50th floor. My goal is to get to the point where I dont stop, and I time myself. Over time I'll start to add a pack and weight. After 3-4 weeks I'm good enough to go on a mountain hunt with a light pack.

Purchase this, do it, you'll be in shape. Might have to adjust the percentages (I did) but it kicked my arse, and it worked.

I commented on this back in January, but I will again. Walking might make you feel better but honestly, it does ZERO for cardio - and if it does, you are really out of shape. Hiking hills is good. Running (not jogging) for 4 miles is good. Riding a bike, especially a mountain bike uphill, is good. Stair steppers are not even close to walking up steep hills but I suppose better than nothing. IMO riding a bike uphill is far better than a stair stepper.

I had ankle surgery in February and have not been able to run since December. I used to run four miles every other day in 34 minutes (I am 63 so slowing down a bit). Since I could not run, I either rode my road bike 20 to 30 miles every day or my mountain bike 16 miles (road bike in AZ, mountain in CO). I rode two out of every three days and hiked up steep hills on the days I didn't bike. I worked out every single day for at least one hour.

I was elk hunting last week and one morning my guide said, "we are going to walk to the top of that hill." I thought he meant the big one behind the one we actually climbed but when we topped the smaller one, he dumped his pack. I then stated I thought he meant the big hill; he replied that it was good to know I was up to the challenge. There was another hunter in camp ten years younger than me who could not walk a mile and struggled with even small hills.

V02max is important, but probably not the most important when it comes to rucking (or carrying loads in mountainous terrain), muscle strength and muscle endurance are both probably more important.

The U.S. Army conducted research on the matter of rucking with multiple test groups. The group that did the worst was those that only trained "cardio"....

Farmers walks, sled pulls, deadlift, squats, and weighted rucking, etc..

V02max is important, but probably not the most important when it comes to rucking (or carrying loads in mountainous terrain), muscle strength and muscle endurance are both probably more important.

The U.S. Army conducted research on the matter of rucking with multiple test groups. The group that did the worst was those that only trained "cardio"....
When I lived in Alaska I used to bike uphill with my pack on. Felt a little ridiculous but worked for me. The reason I like biking is because it really strengthens your legs, as does hiking up hill (and with a pack even better). Backpacking in the Grand Canyon is great training but not perfect: while the backcountry trails are steep (Bright Angel isn't nor is Kaibab) walking up hills without trails is more realistic.

Altitude masks:
Thrown around like no big deal.
If you have any cardiovascular or respiratory pulmonary disease at all, you really MUST be evaluated by your cardio doc or pulmonologist to confirm you can wear a restricted breathing mask. These are literally no different than a respirator which can place undue stress on your cardiovascular or pulmonary system. That is what they are suppose to do. This is not a joke and can be fatal. People do and have died wearing similar so do not take this lightly.