Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

I'll play

6xc with a #4 @24" long
8 twist using 105 berger hybrids, 107 sierra or 105 a-max.
either the McMillian A1-3 or the Remington Hunter, (depends on the grip angle you like.)

Topped with a 4-16 pst moa

You now have a 10lb rifle capable of 800 yard coyotes 1000 yards if your real good.

heck lets add a mini muscle brake to it just so you can spot your shots easier.

Jim,

Thanks for the comments. I've yet to play with the 6xc but hopefully I'll have a barrel chambered up in that caliber in the future. I agree, that would be a pretty good set-up. Anybody else like the 6xc?

Geb

So far it looks like 22-250, .243, or 6xc. We have two of each of those calibers, except one of the 243 is AI. The barrels tend to be a fairly light weight contour with some people likeing flutes, and most so far opting for a 24" barrel. The stocks also being preferred have a more hunting style grip and trim forend and some sort of a desert colored camo. Looks like an adjustable cheek is a toss up as is LOP and people here look to prefer a light trigger in the 1-2 pound range.

I'd like to get some more feedback. If you are a member here, please take a few minutes and post your ideal specs for a walking varmint type rifle. The more input we have the closer we'll come to building an ideal rifle. Thank you for your time.

Geb

I think the ticket for the forend of the stock is to have a about a 2" width so your bi-pod has a good mounting surface w/o wobble. I like the idea of a light trigger to be more precise for little targets way out there. Atlas bi-pod would be the ticket if you can get your hands on one.

My suggestion was for an AI also... :) (.22-250 AI)

As far as the stock goes, I would prefer a narrower and rounded forend on a gun for calling predators. That is just because I use sticks when calling, not bipods.

Not trying to be argumentative, just something else to consider.

22-250
24 inch barrel, contoured out to .780 at the muzzle and fluted
1 in 12 twist
I like the Rem Hunter stock from McMillan
Williams steel floor plate
JEWEL trigger
Weight should fall in the 7.75 to 8.25 area

22-250 has enough reach for most shooters and enough authority on delivery
to get the job done. This caliber also can be made useable on cats with valuable fur and ammo is available to everyone.
50 to 65 grain bullets with good speed and barrel life what more could you
ask for.

+1 on Jim See with the 6cx. That's a rig you can have some fun with. Would work well on whitetails too.

BigMo and Sendero 72,

Got it down, thanks for the replies. Any suggestions on stock color or camo other than already mentioned?

Geb

rem hunter stock vs HTG, see the palm swell on RH and the slightly wider profile, RH also has a little cast off in the butt,

try again

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 79
a cardon fiber barrled 220 swift or its ackley brother. 26 in. 70gr berger, thumhole stock w/adjustable cheek. 8.5x25 leupold. 8.5 to 10 lbs max weight.

Jim,

Thanks for the pics!

Just for some comparisons, I took measurements of the forends of five different stocks I have on hand.
1. M40A1 (original model smear) measures 1.78"
2. B&C M40 style stock has 2.03"
3. McMillan A3 measures 1.90"
4. Manners T4A measures 2.47"
5. McMillan A5 measures 2.50"
All measurements were taken half way between the recoil lug and forend. The A3 was a LA stock. If you were looking for a narrow forend, the M40A1/HTG stock is the slimmest of these particular five. I think everybody already knew that but now you have an idea of how wide each forend is. I don't have the McMillan Rem Hunter stock on hand to measure.
Mr. Swift,
Any particular thumbhole stock you prefer? AICS, Manners GAT or T5 or other? How about color/camo finish?
Geb

the manners stock you spoke of would be fine sand colored camo works also. most of the thumbhole stocks i currently have are wood or a laminated wood. they however are to heavy and costly for a walking varminter.

I'll be quiet after this.

The stock I recommended is this one.

McMillanHunter_zpse2476f36.jpg

The one called the "Remington Hunter" says it has a wide forend and can be inlet for up to #8 barrels. I was assuming the two are different and the one above is narrower.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.