Snow goose Hunt??

isu600rr

OK so i signed up for a snow goose hunt in march in SD and i have only goose hunted twice and this is the first snow goose ever, so i have some questions,
what type of shells brand and size?
choke tube?
mag extension? worth it for one hunt?

im shooting a SBE II 12ga so im set there.

what type of shells brand and size?
Brand doesn't matter unless you want to get serious, then pattern and see which one patterns the best. Otherwise any 3" or 3.5", 2s or BBs. Steel or non-toxic shot.
choke tube?
Modified or full. Modified will be more forgiving, but will give up some range.

This just might be me but I prefer a 3" over 3.5" do to recoil...

3.5 just knocks you off target and takes to long to get back on another bird...

I like to get birds right in the wheelhouse before I pull the trigger...

If you get into the White Devil bring plenty of shells... Like a case !!!

Good Luck...

We spend a lot of time hunting white geese in SD.
Most of the shooting we do is pass shooting. Some spot and stalk and a little over decoys.
I shoot an SBE. I like the 3.5" with 2's or bb depending on the type of shooting we are doing. Non toxic shot is the rule. I don't have an extension on my gun - but I do take the plug out.
Are you going with a guide? If so its good for the first time to learn the game. However its not necessary. The farmers out there hate the geese. I have never had anyone tell us we could not hunt them. Get to know some of the locals. Buying someone a beer at the local bar in one of the small townscan go along way to finding out where the best hunting is. We actually have built relationships over the years where the farmers now call us when the geese start moving into the area.

If you hit it at the right time it is the most amazing site you will ever see.

Bring lots of shells - a good knife - binoculars and a pair of tin snips.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
A couple things I forgot for your sky carp hunt.
I used to use an improved modified choke. Recently switched to Federal Black Cloud shells and a Pattern Master choke tube.
Bring a cleaning kit for your gun. Weather can very - we have hunted in t-shirts and in heavy winter clothing. Watch the forecast.

You can go to the SD game and fish department web site and track the migration.

We spend a lot of time hunting white geese in SD.
Most of the shooting we do is pass shooting. Some spot and stalk and a little over decoys.
I shoot an SBE. I like the 3.5" with 2's or bb depending on the type of shooting we are doing. Non toxic shot is the rule. I don't have an extension on my gun - but I do take the plug out.
Are you going with a guide? If so its good for the first time to learn the game. However its not necessary. The farmers out there hate the geese. I have never had anyone tell us we could not hunt them. Get to know some of the locals. Buying someone a beer at the local bar in one of the small townscan go along way to finding out where the best hunting is. We actually have built relationships over the years where the farmers now call us when the geese start moving into the area.

If you hit it at the right time it is the most amazing site you will ever see.

Bring lots of shells - a good knife - binoculars and a pair of tin snips.

Have a great trip.

Whats up with the tin snips ??

We field dress the birds as soon as we shoot them. Usually its late when we get back in. Most often its dark, cold and windy. The tin snips are more durable than any game shears I have found. We usually just breast the birds out. The tin snips work good for cutting the birds apart. Make sure you check the regs - you need to leave certain parts attached so the birds can be identified.

I live in SD and spend alot of time shooting snows. I've hunted MO, SD, ND and SK and will tell you that I have never seen as many snows as we did last fall. If the fields arent to bad it should be a good year.
If you are decoying then I would recomend 3" #1's or 2's and #1's or BB for pass shooting. I nomally shoot an IC or mod in the deks, and a pattern master pass shooting. I would also say buy the cheepest stuff that your gun functions properly with. I've shot 5-6 boxes in a morning. I would also say get an extension if you can, It doesn't need to be huge, but 6 or 7 rounds is nice to have. You may want to bring your waders because we are having record snow fall and it is going to be a mess when the birds get here.

I'm in Sioux Falls,we normally start each spring in MO around Squaw Creek, then skip NE because they have stupid licening. Then once they hit SD we follow them up north somewhere between SF and Mitchell normally. Between Lake Thompson and Watertown is normally very good. I don't know why but we seem to shoot more bands it that area. Lake Thompson is a huge roost so maybe thats why.
We run about 400 GHG full bodies having switched from 1000 custom Northwinds. With all the snow, this spring will be interesting. I have 3 ' in my yard and the field behind my house right now. Here is a pic to get you guys fired up. Believe it or not, this was 1.5 hours worth of decoying, 6 man limit.
It would have been quicker but wwe had to stop and count a few times.

Picture037.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.