Snow and bullet drop

denny2

The WI deer hunt is only a week and a half away. We already experienced some flurries this week. How does snow effect bullet drop at ranges 500 - 700 yards?
Maybe not at all. I'm sure it matters if it is a light or heavy snow, if it does make a difference. Thanks!

Snow flakes and rain drops do not change the bullets path directly, however if its snowing, and therefore cold, the humidity will be lower. Just play with a ballistic calculator and enter in different humidity percentages to get an idea of how much a drastic change in humidity will affect your drops. My guess is that for 500-700 yards, the effect will be minimal

The important thing will be to keep the rain and snow out of the barrel. Especially don't want moisture in the barrel and then have it turn to an ice spot or ice glaze inside the tube.

The important thing will be to keep the rain and snow out of the barrel. Especially don't want moisture in the barrel and then have it turn to an ice spot or ice glaze inside the tube.
Dang it, saw the word glaze, thought glazed doughnut, now I'm hungry....

Thanks for the info! I will play around with the calculator to see the changes. I also saw on long range pursuit where they stuck duct tape over the end of the barrel and it didn't change the point of impact at all. Glaze donuts....I'm going to take break at work now:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.