Snoring

A. This is a long-range hunting forum. You guys hunting from the tent????? Maybe walk a little ways from camp?
B. There is such thing as "justifiable homicide" and also "being voted off the island."
C. Most snoring is obesity related.
D. CPAP
E. If you have a .45 for predators, always save at least one bullet. Have you seen The Revenant???

I have a similar story to Cutback. I can snore really loudly when I'm tired. We were hunting moose/elk and we are in our 12 x 16 wall tent. Been there for a few days and one of our guys said they woke up in middle of night to something big outside our tent, walking around. It actually stuck its nose up against the canvas, made a few grunts. Eventually left. Was a moose. We got a good laugh about this. However, about 3-5 days later, it happened again. Weird. We finally figured it out. Moose was attracted into camp by my snoring! And it was the start of the rut.

The solo hunting thread got me thinking. I was once told that some animals may hear snoring as dangerous or, worse, threatening. Well, I snore. This seems ridiculous as I'm typing but I sure wouldn't want Bigfoot attacking me while I'm sleeping or, maybe more legitimately, a mountain lion, for example. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Not specifically with hunting animals but snoring with guns none the less.
In the military in the 70s, whilst fighting a bush war in Africa, it was always a struggle for those who snored, as they would be woken up continually by the member doing watch. They would be haggard the next day ....and yes it was critical to be quiet at night as the communist terrorists used to move at night. So in the same note, as the author, you don't want to be heard or you may get attacked. Never thought of it from an animal perspective though.

Besides being over weight, liquor also causes excessive snoring. A hunting acquaintance snored so loud the windows in the cabin actually vibrated and made noise. When I mentioned it to him, he got very angry. He drank about a 5th of whisky every night before bed. He was later not invited back as he had a temper.

I don't know about animals becoming threatening, but other humans in the same room just might.

My longtime hunting buddy, who is a good ten years older than me, climbed into bed and fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow, and then the snoring would start. It sounded like a **** chainsaw!

After my first trip out with him, I'd bring along my Army instructors whistle, and when his snoring became unbearable, I'd give the whistle a blast, waking him up and putting a stop to his snoring even if it was only for half an hour or so!

I woke myself up snoring in the woods while deer hunting and to my surprise an 8-point buck was 20 yards from me wondering what I was as he leaned forward to look at me. I laid there motionlessly until he turned to start walking away. He was immediately put into the freezer. With cougar and bear activity in our area and the sighting of a Timberwolf 30 yards from a ground blind the wife and I was in last fall makes me give a second thought to napping in the woods while hunting. Oh that warm sun on a hillside sure makes me sleepy.

I also use a C-Pap but have never found a set up that works well out camping/hunting. Tried the inverter/battery setup in Idaho a couple years ago , very poor performance in cold weather. Would charge batterie(s) up every evening with my generator and they wouldn't last 6-7 hrs at the cold temps. Have you found a solution to these situations ?

A member of our camp sleeps with a C-Pap machine. He has a Honda 2000 generator that we installed a kit on so it runs on propane. Works very well in cold weather and is very efficient on propane. I would estimate 30 - 40 hours of run time on a BBQ tank. Much better than messing with gasoline. The generator never gets off idle running the C-Pap machine and we also have extension cords with charging stations so we can charge batteries in our radios, phones, etc. during the night. With a 50 foot extension cord you can barely hear it.

I would think if you had a pistol in your bag or even in your hand if you get attacked by a bear or mountain lion of the bigfoot your butt is in serious trouble. Just like in my military training runs we always set up early warning setups. If you know an attack is imminent you can be ready. My bug out bags and camping pack always has a spool of braided fishing line in them. There are so many uses for it just don't go without it. Set your cook kit up with a rock in it and tie one end to it. Take the line and do a perimeter around your site. Tie the other end to your cook pot lid and put it in your cook pot with a stone on top of it. Anything comes into your area and it's going to wake you easily and probably scare off any animal that's just curious.
But really any big game animal will have you for lunch if he wants you and you don't know it's coming. And bigfoot would probably take your titanium cook pot just to mess with you. Remember bigfoots are like ninjas. They weigh 500 pounds but are silent and they are 5 ft wide and 10 ft tall but can disappear behind any twig. Invisible to game cams too.
Shep

I snore like loudly and have spent up to six months at a time living in a tent in areas where mountain lions and black bears are regularly seen. I have found tracks for both walking through camp and never had an issue. I did have a mountain lion scream about 30 yards from me. It scared the crap out of me but the mountain lion never acted aggressively. There was another mountain lion making a bunch of noise about a half mile off and I think that is what set off the closer cat. I did find a rattle snake in my tent once and another time found scorpions in my sleeping bag.
Nothing scarier in that mix to moi than finding a snake in your tent or scorpions in the sleeping bag, boots, gloves, etc.

I would think if you had a pistol in your bag or even in your hand if you get attacked by a bear or mountain lion of the bigfoot your butt is in serious trouble. Just like in my military training runs we always set up early warning setups. If you know an attack is imminent you can be ready. My bug out bags and camping pack always has a spool of braided fishing line in them. There are so many uses for it just don't go without it. Set your cook kit up with a rock in it and tie one end to it. Take the line and do a perimeter around your site. Tie the other end to your cook pot lid and put it in your cook pot with a stone on top of it. Anything comes into your area and it's going to wake you easily and probably scare off any animal that's just curious.
But really any big game animal will have you for lunch if he wants you and you don't know it's coming. And bigfoot would probably take your titanium cook pot just to mess with you. Remember bigfoots are like ninjas. They weigh 500 pounds but are silent and they are 5 ft wide and 10 ft tall but can disappear behind any twig. Invisible to game cams too.
Shep
LOL. And good advice.

My personal experience with snoring and hunting is that hogs may not care. I have a small mobile blind that I use when finding hog signs on my place. Hogs in my area are nocturnal so hunting from just before dark to sometime in the middle of the night results in my falling asleep/snoring in the blind with an open window within a 100 yards of my target area. I have woke up multiple times to the sound of squealing hogs, so believe they're ok with snoring.

Attachments

• 7892D967-0F8C-4758-B4AE-1FFCB7F5721D.jpeg
    7892D967-0F8C-4758-B4AE-1FFCB7F5721D.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 118
The little thing can scare the crap out of you. I was pushing the toe of my boot liner all the way up and this big black spider ran up my arm I might have peed a little. I'm not a fan of spiders. Snakes are cool but spiders no way.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.