Snared this one.

Ohlongarm

Would rather have shot him but, I set the snare before the snow fell and got him today.

Attachments

• sna.jpg
    sna.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 183
What kind of snares do you use ? Are they cam locks , micro locks ect. ? Do you use quick kill springs on your snares ? just wondering .

What kind of snares do you use ? Are they cam locks , micro locks ect. ? Do you use quick kill springs on your snares ? just wondering .
I've been snaring since, I was about seven years old .At age eight the Ohio game warden caught me snaring ringneck pheasants with homemade snares made out of monofilament. He read me and my mother the riot act,however it never deterred me and I continued .Anyway the only snares, I use are made by Thompson snares, for coyotes I use a 1XX 120 inches in length with tree locks. The snares are rusted loaded and soaked in mineral oil.I use a 12 inch loop circular ,and place it 12 inches off the ground I've tried other snares but in my opinion Thompson is best. I could post here easily hundred of snared coyotes, I'll post a few here and there. I'd rather shoot em though but snaring in areas where you can't shoot is a bonus. I use a number 1, 5/64 cable for coyotes,kills are at about 95%. a smarter coyote will lay down when the snare tightens and survive, till I find them.

They work pretty good. I follow coyotes in the snow and mark the trails they use, they'll always come back using the same, that's where I slay em big time.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 2s.jpg
    2s.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 3s.jpg
    3s.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 4s.jpg
    4s.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 5s.jpg
    5s.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 6s.jpg
    6s.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 7s.jpg
    7s.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 119
  • 8s.jpg
    8s.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 9s.jpg
    9s.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 143
I used Thompson snares for quite a while and also loaded them to make them faster . Then till they were outlawed by the state I used Petterson knots on my snares . I use cam-locks with kill springs now but most of mine are fence sets as I find that trail sets here get filled with deer , antelope , rabbits or livestock . Like you when I was around 8 my cousin taught me to use a figure 4 triggering system for snaring rabbits ect. I like 8 foot 3/32 air craft cable and simmer them in baking soda and water to take the shine off the cable and locks and use the S hook type breakaways . I no longer preload them as the wind here will blow them closed . I set them with the lock slightly tilted up ward to keep the wind from blowing them closed and keep the bottom of the 9-10 inch loop off the ground a couple of inches for a couple of reasons , so they don't freeze to the ground and so the coyotes feet will go below and to the sides of the loop instead of into it . It's amazing how much things differ from area to area we only have trees and brush along the rivers and creeks till you get up in the mountains here .

Reemty , dead coyote , fox , bobcats and will kill them in snares or traps . It gets real bad if the weather gets cold and stays that way for a while .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.