Snakes kill roughly 46,000 per year in India

I don't know their philosophy on snakes, but recall Indians starving because they let rats eat the bulk of their grain shipments because they can't/won't kill the rats. Cattle running the streets, because they don't eat them either.

Gun ownership must be outlawed. That or they're poor shots.
I seriously doubt 40K+ people die from snake bites over there. I lived in Asia for awhile, and there are two things you must keep track of. First is the rat and mice population, and the second one is the monsoon season. Snake feed on rats and mice, and snakes go to high ground during the rainy season. Otherwise you don't see all that many. The one exception is the green tea snake (or emerald viper). It bites several hundred people a year picking tea leaves, and that usually means you loose a finger or worse yet a hand. Still a few people die. Then there's the good old bamboo viper. It hangs out in thatched roves, and likes to drop on you. Still it's venom is about as potent as a cobra. Or about mid range on the scale. In north east India and west into the other nations you have a really nasty snake called a rustle's viper. Probably seven outta ten buy the farm with this one! About the only things nastier are a krait and a sea snake, yet bites are uncommon.
I'd more worry about a scorpion or centipede bite, and in most cases you only wish you could die.
gary

Gun ownership must be outlawed. That or they're poor shots.

India, oddly enough, has the second largest firearm ownership rate in the world. It's 170 million privately owned firearms. Kinda cool.

India is a predominantly Buddhist country. They don't believe in killing anything, not even an earth work because they think it is an ancient relative, mom, dad, grandparents etc. They won't retaliate and kill a snake just because they got bit, they feel it is there fault that they irritated the snake. I am surprised at the number of firearms per capita though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.