snake river elk hunt

skitch

hello three of use drew branch bull tags this year all got bulls. my bull was first six point with my 338 edge built by shawn a great rifle shot 492 with a 300 sierra going 2805 fps. not a long shot for this gun butt wind was blowing from 9 to 35 mph. the bullet hit left side angle forward took out the liver and half the right lung jacket on the hide on the right side bull went 40 yards then rolled for 200 yards down hill. took two of us 9 hours to pack the boned out meat 300 yards to the horse trail a nice bull about 5 years old. next bull was shot by rick at 35 yards with a 300 weatherby 210 berger going 2922 went in left side just behind shoulder bullet lost half the jacket and some lead 2 inches in. pinholed through the lungs right shoulder blade and out like a solid not what we thought was going to happen. next bull my brother shot with a 300 win 210 berger going 2894 570 yards hit left side hit a rib going in and did not go through the left lung bull walked in to the timber he heard bullet hit took him about half a hour to get over and got luckey and got the bull in the timber. again not what we thought was going to happen they shoot very well but we are going to change bullets. the sierra have worked very well in my edge maybe the sierra will work in the 30 cal better also we all got bulls and hade a great time a friend went with and had a goat he took a little guff from a fello on the way in but when we put 40 pounds of meat on it and it packed it up through the bluffs with us know body was laughing them all have a great year and good luck

Nice story Skitch. Sounds like you guys had a good hunt. Interesting on the Bergers, I've been following the posts about them and can't decide if I want to try them or not. Just bought a 300 RUM Sendero and trying to figure out what bullet so I can give it a go. Good luck!

we were not happy with them was looking for the 338 bergers for the edge not so much know a nother friend used the bergers on blacktail deer and got subpar proformance also

Good write up skitch. I was just talking to a friend today who used 140 AB's out of a .280 Rem and it blew up on him. He is switching. Been reading a lot of reports like that. I'm using 180 E-Tips in my 300 RUM. Haven't shot any critters with them yet but I've read some good reviews on them. I recoverd a couple from the dirt after target shooting and they look very impressive.

Mark

I have a question- was this bull alive and on its feet and have to be shot again? Or was it laying dead in the timber?

next bull my brother shot with a 300 win 210 berger going 2894 570 yards hit left side hit a rib going in and did not go through the left lung bull walked in to the timber he heard bullet hit took him about half a hour to get over and got luckey and got the bull in the timber.

Do you have any pics, sounds like a good hunt. I love that country up there.
hope to hunt there some day.

All the stories I've ever heard about the place is that you see a lot of elk- at 1000 yards, and have a hard time closing the distance. I always thought it would be a good LR place since most people can't shoot that far. Good on you for filling all your tags in there, let's see some pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.