Snake Bite

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
The weather is warming up and snakes are getting active. In the event that you get bit by a venomous snake there are things that you SHOULD DO and SHOULD NOT DO. I saw this article and was surprised that I would do some of the "DO NOTS". I do always carry a small first aid kit a Trauma Kit and a Snake Bite/Bee Sting Kit with a Venom Extractor Suction Pump.
Good article:

Thanks
Len & Jill

Good, timely advice. I always have an extractor in my kit. I was fly fishing in the mountains this morning and can still hear my father's voice in my head telling me not to step on spot without first verifying that it is clear. Funny how some things stick with you.
Same here. Never step over a log or sit on a log without checking. Don't turn over rocks with you hands, use a stick. Was taught that at 4 or 5 and still sticks with me in the woods and in my yard.

Interesting article and good information. Funny this came up now. I was getting my yearly physical and my doc and I were talking about snake bites. I asked him about an extractor and he did not recommend its use. He did recommend cleaning the wound as the article described.

This is how he described it. Once bitten, the poison is in your bloodstream. The extractor would probably not get anything out by the time you get to the point of actually using it. He compared it to getting ready for surgery. Once prepped, the anesthesiologist injects you with whatever cocktail he's using to put you out. Within seconds your lights out. So using an extractor to suck out the poison is pretty useless.

Anyone remember the old "Snake Doctor" stun gun that came out years ago?

Supposedly, it was based on a theory that the static discharge would help nuetralize the venom by denaturing the proteins in the venom. It was based on people who had used spark plug wires from lawn mowers, old tractors and such to treat themselves for bee stings and bites and with some success. There were some doctors who agreed with the idea.

A friend of mine bought one of these 25kV stun guns at a gun show back in the early 90's, and we took turns using it on each others legs. WOW, what an experience that was, but fortunately, we never needed it for snake bites.

Anyone remember the old "Snake Doctor" stun gun that came out years ago?

Supposedly, it was based on a theory that the static discharge would help nuetralize the venom by denaturing the proteins in the venom. It was based on people who had used spark plug wires from lawn mowers, old tractors and such to treat themselves for bee stings and bites and with some success. There were some doctors who agreed with the idea.

A friend of mine bought one of these 25kV stun guns at a gun show back in the early 90's, and we took turns using it on each others legs. WOW, what an experience that was, but fortunately, we never needed it for snake bites.
That's one I never heard of.

Years ago, bought a pair of Chippewa 17 inch, waterproof, pull on , Snake Boots and never had a viper make a penetrating strike in over 50,000 miles of ground traveled. Mostly on an FLH, but a few trips on 600R too.

If you can, use a vacuum device to extract as much venom as possible. Never cut across the bite marks. Don't use any ligature products. Get medical aid ASAP. Otherwise, don't panic. Most defensive bite are not going to be a full load of the snakes venom. Its just trying to get you away from itself. The faster you can get to anti venom the better! But don't die in a vehicle accident on the way to help! Advice from an old Paramedic.

That's one I never heard of.
Here's an article from 1986:

1685375220093.png

Last edited:
The weather is warming up and snakes are getting active. In the event that you get bit by a venomous snake there are things that you SHOULD DO and SHOULD NOT DO. I saw this article and was surprised that I would do some of the "DO NOTS". I do always carry a small first aid kit a Trauma Kit and a Snake Bite/Bee Sting Kit with a Venom Extractor Suction Pump.
Good article:

Thanks
Len & Jill
We had a small safety meeting before hunting PA timber rattlers. Best snake bite kit when your several hours from nearest antivenom is Don't Get Bit!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20