Smothered steak

sierracharlie338

Made a nostalgic dish of days gone by. My mother used to make this dish for my dad every year on his birthday because it was his favorite. I hated it had as kid because of the tomatoes. Funny how things change. Rest In Peace mom.

Light fry on the steaks. Set them aside. Homemade gravy added to the top. In the oven for about 45 minutes. Homemade mashed taters with butter and milk. Top with steak and gravy.
E082858F-5A38-445C-A2CE-3C5255299734.jpeg
110F8074-7520-4C4C-A2DC-DD7788533D4E.jpeg

looks like what i would call country style steak which is one of my favs. never seen it with tomatoes though. after frying the steaks, i deglaze the pan with beef broth, add butter, onions and cream of mushroom soup. throw the steak and gravy into a dutch oven and bake at 300 for about an hour. i usually make it once a week during the winter months with a green of some sort and then mashed taters. cover everything with gravy and go to town.

I bet that will be money! Your original dish looked amazing.
Thanks! Like your Mom, my Dad makes the best gravies. He spent 20+ years as a cook in the Navy and went on to cook for his Admiral when he retired. I am very fortunate to have a household full of cooks. My Mom was an awesome cook too, and so as my sisters. I used to be the kitchen tester, and I guess that is where my cooking passion got started. I also find it relaxing. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.